Persistent afib for 3 years, had 1st cardioversion last week

Posted , 7 users are following.

Since cardioversion I have been feeling light headed, had shortness of breath and can't walk very far without resting. My current heartrate is 60. Did anyone else have these issues? I was expecting to be normal right away.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Wow really!? So are you sure it wasn't an ablation not cardioversion? I've had many as recently as 2 days ago and never had a problem. It stops the A Fib in its tracks. Was it a chemical or electric shock cardioversion? Also could it be the drugs your on?

• Posted

It was electric shock. From other answers I think its the drugs, taking bisoprolol 5mg twice a day, eliquis twice a day, ramipril 2.5 mg twice a day, flecainide 100 mg twice a day plus other non heart related meds. If the cardioversion works for 6 weeks then looking at the ablation.
    • Posted

Omg that's a lot of drugs just for A Fib! No wonder you felt bad. I hope you feel better soon. Are you going to see your doctor?

• Posted

Thank you, I'm going to give him a call in the morning. It does seem like a lot of meds, ridiculous! I would just like to be normal again.

• Posted

Glad to hear you are taking steps to get answers. Sometimes we have to take a stand and demand they be accountable for what they prescribe to us as patients. Let them know how we feel and that we are not stupid and expect answers. Let me know how you do. Good luck my A Fib friend smile

Sandi

• Posted

Ramipril rang alarm bells for me as it was very bad for my paf
  • Posted

My guess is they have you on beta blocker or calcium channel blockers or blood pressure meds ( or like me all the above) which is causing your heart beat to slow way down and not catch up to your brain and body's desire to increase the heart rate.

• Posted

I will look into that in the morning, I like you seem to be on many different drugs, (see above) I guess it's a cause and effect. The flecainide is new started 2 weeks before cardioversion.

• Posted

I agree with High Voltage:   I had one cardioversion .. and was ok .. but the meds they sent me home with caused me a lot of problems.  I took them for 3-4 weeks and had major episodes every day with low blood pressure or spiking bp.  As I dropped the meds, one at a time .. I finally got better.  I kept a notebook and noted the symptoms after every pill.  Off everything now and much better. 

talk to your doc .. maybe you should be on lower dosages. 

• Posted

Thank you, I feel better knowing it's not all in my head! I will start keeping track and I guess staggering the meds, I usually just take all at once, maybe that's not such a good idea. No one tells you what to expect after the shock. My rates went from 200 to 120 with the flecainide, to 60 with the cardioversion. After speeding for 3 years my body doesn't know what to do.

• Posted

yes, keep a record.  Take Your blood pressure 15-20 min after a pill and note how you feel.  It is very eye- opening.   and definitely not all pills at one time.. that way you will see what is causing you trouble.  The note book with time and bp and symptoms is good to take with you to next doctor appointment.  Good luck Ted.  keep us informed. 
  • Posted

when i had my first bout of AFIB  in August 2016 i felt awful- i thought it was stress and did not go to doctor for well over a weak- they did an ekg and said it was afib and put me on a beta blocker that nite- i had immediate relief from the pounding heart - i saw a cardiologist the next morning and he also put me on eliquis. He ordered tests - i had the halter moniter on Aug 22 and then the first part of a chemical stress test on the 29th somewhere during that week i went back into normal heart rhythm. But is tell you i was still weak and lightheaded and could not walk very far without feeling like i wanted to lay down and sleep somewhere- this was even after i was not in Afib- so i was thinking it was the beta blocker- but i seemed to have adjusted to the meds because my stamina has improved so much   My stress test did show something- it could be false positive but i need to go on the 13th for an angioplasty- which i am not happy about- i am praying it is a false positive and that i do not have any blockages in the heart- i am a nervous wreck about the test- i get very sqimish with the heart and veins- so i am not a happy camper- did anyone else go thru this? Was anyone else false positive? I read there are a lot of those and it is a money make for cardiologists to do the angioplasty- if i did not have the bout of afib i don't know if i would do something so invasive- UGH- 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.