tapazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on Tapazole for a little over three weeks now. Just recently, the Tapazole has caused severe welts/hives. After almost a week of dealing with the Hives, I've decided to take my dose a litle different than what the doctor has prescribed. The doctor told me to take 20mg daily. Since I have started to take 10mg in the AM and 10mg in the PM, I feel a whole lot better. Still have yet to hear from my Doctor regarding the need for change. When I called the office, they had her Nurse call me and tell me that they are switching my meds to PTU---the infamous liver damaging drug. I refuse to take that med and will just continued the Tapazole---only in a different manner. What do you think?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you are no longer having problems with Tapazole when you split the dose, I would not change it.  But for the record, both drugs Tapazole and PTU can cause liver problems when used in high dosages.  That's why when you have blood drawn for thyroid labs, they should also test for liver enzymes.  My Endo always does this no matter what dose I am on.  They treat pregnant women with PTU as it is considered safer than Tapazole to prevent birth defects.  I would inform your doc of your decision though as he needs to be kept up to date.  Also, if you add supplements and begin improving, your doc will be able to lower your dose of whatever antithyroid med you are on when your next blood draw shows improvement..

• Posted

Can you kindly list all the supplements again for me so I can talk to my Doctor about it too...thanks so much
    • Posted

Regular L-Carnitine, 3,000 to 4,000 mg per day, vitamin D 1,000 to 5,000 IU per day and Magnesium 200 mg per day.
  • Posted

I'm not a medical professional, but you aren't changing the dosage just the timing. I wouldn't expect a problem with that. It sounds like you figured out what works best for your body. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.