Prostate Trial Voids - What Are Steps Your URO DOC Uses?

Posted , 9 users are following.

My Uro Doc wants me to "cut my Direct Foley Catheter" early in the morning of our afternoon, ~ 1PM,  appointment. Then, drink as much fluid as possible for the next 3-4 hours and until I VOID, if possible. Then, visit his office at the appointment time so he can measure "my retention"....The problem is I might have an Uncontrollable Void while I'm on my way to his office.....If "my retention" is "too much" and/or I don't Void, then the URO Doc puts me back on the Foley Direct Catheter and schedules me for  another Trial Void in 4 weeks..I had a REZUM on August 15th.....While I was in the hospital for Lung Surgery on June 15th my FLOW Stopped..The hospital and another URO DOC used some type of equipment to "force water" into my bladder and then, I was to attempt a TRIAL VOID, but I was unsuccessful ~ 8 times....The first URO Doc wanted to do a TURP so I switched to the current URO DOC who has successfully performed hundred's of REZUM's and TUNA's.....My Question is Why Doesn't the 2nd URO DOC use equipment to force water into me too?.....Is His TRIAL VOID procedure as I described above considered normal procedure for TRIAL VOIDS by Most or a Lot of URO DOCs?.....Please Comment...

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can not comment on your equipment question but if you have not removed a catheter on your own before, you can see my play by play experience listed under "HIFU EXPERIENCE". It will be near the bottom of all my posts. ( actually, I have removed Foley catheters twice, and both experiences are listed there.

Hope this helps a little.

• Posted

Can't the uro measure retension with ultrasound machine? Thats what mine does.

• Posted

Hi Randy,  I'm not a doctor and have never been involved with a void test.  But I did have the Rezum procedure on Aug 23.  Just last Thursday, after going through 5 cycles of the Foley (Foley for 3.5 days and no Foley for 3.5 days, repeat,  over a 5 week period)  the doc indiated that I no longer needed the Foley; that I had recovered from the Rezum procedure to the point that I could drop the Foley Cath.  Anyway, my doc never did do a void test.  What he did do was run an ultra-sound over my bladder area to determine the amount of urine I was holding.  If I was retaining more than 200 cc then the Foley be would re-installed. Last Thursday his ultra-sound showed that I was holding 150cc which was enough to discontinue the Foley Cath (the Foley was a big pain) ..eeerr!!  Good luck, take care.

• Posted

Usually they do urodynamics test. That way they know exactly how much fluid is in your bladder ( cause they put it in) , flow rate, bladder muscle contractions, etc. Maybe cause of the Cath he doesn't know if you will void normally. I would just ask him . My uro's nurse did all that. Then he came in and scoped me. That was a fun day.

• Posted

Hi   Randy,

IMHO you need to take control of your situation and do what you want with your own body and situation.

I had a similar experience. I had a Foley catheter for over a week, and my doctor told me to cut it and take it out. I was concerned, since I hadn’t naturally voided since before my PAE.  His office is as least an hour drive from my home. I didn’t feel comfortable removing it without having a reasonable option. That option was NOT to go trough the process of having another Foley inserted.

Upon reading the discussions here, I already had some self catheters handy, and made an appointment with my Uro’s office so they could teach me how to self cath. I learned a lot from JimJames here beforehand.

So I removed the Foley at home and drove 10 minutes to my Uro’s office. I did not drink alot before I went there. I could not naturally void, so they showed me what do and I self-cathed.  I’ve been doing that ever since, and now also naturally void a little on occasion, as well.

Remember it's YOUR body and life. Do what feels right to you.

Good luck with your situation.

• Posted

These Foley happy urologists make me crazy. Take the thing out, see if you can pee naturally, without forcing liquids. If you can't, demand/beg to be set up for a self cath. When you're recovering from. Rezum you have good and bad days and events. But many can get along well enough that can't pass the tests. And you'll recover full function faster if you are trying all the time. Last but not least, you can live normally if you have to self cath for a few weeks. Not so with a Foley

• Posted

Not having much experience with them I didn't want to say it. But to me makes sense if he's got that thing in you, how can your bladder learn to work again? I had a Foley in me 2 days. When they took that monster out, I voided a little twice so they would let me go home. But it took weeks to get things going right.

• Posted

Randy,

My problem is acute urinary retention. It is caused by drinking large amounts of liquid at once. So my urologist wanted to check my chronic retention with an ultrasound. I was told I needed 32 ounces of water in my bladder. So on the way to the hospital I drank 32 ounces of water. A half hour later, the technition did the ultra sound. She said the bladder wasn't full enough so I had to drink another 16 ounces of water. After the first part of the ultra sound, I was told to go into the bathroom and void.

Predictably the 48 ounces of liquid caused the acute retention and I was able to void less than an ounce before becoming completely blocked up. So my retention was 47 ounces, brought on by drinking way to much liquid in a short amount of time. I found it kind of amusing because it was so predictable.

The test of course, told the doctor nothing. What I've done, on my own, is to wait until I have a strong urge to go. I then void into a graduated jar, recording the amount. I then self cath myself to measure the urine left in my bladder. The results have been very close to zero every time. So I will report to the doctor that I have no problem with urinary retention except on the occations that I can't void at all. The acute thing.

Good luck with your test.

John

• Posted

Wow that's alot. When I did urodynamics test my bladder only held 24 ounces.

• Posted

Well I doubt all that was actually in my bladder. I think the most I've had in there was 1000 ML or close to 34 oz. That was the first time I had the attack and had to go to the emergency room. And that was extremely painful. I hurt for over a week. 

• Posted

I assume mine would have held more normally. Prostate was pushing on it.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response...My retention is-was a lot more, ~ 300ml- 700ml..Most People on this forum report they can VOID within a few days after their REZUM procedure....That hasn't been my experience and it worries me....

• Posted

Randy,

If I'm understanding you correctly, my uro wanted me to do the same thing but I didn't feel comfortable removing the Foley myself, so we did it in the office - then he forced water up and I, too, was unable to void.  I had about 4 unsuccessful trials without catheter (TWOCs).  Each time I had to either go to the emergency room or the uro's office to have the Foley reinserted.  Really terrible experiences and I feel I didn't do my bladder any favors.  Then I learned to self-cath:  it was easy to learn, by far a better option than the Foley, not painful like when someone else inserts or removes the Foly, much more natural in that you can try to void any tiome with the security that if it really starts to build up you can always cath.  (I've found that the Coloplast male compact is the best).  I really regret that I didn't learn to self-cath immediatley after I went in to retention - as my uro had advised.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your response!.....Yes, you have had somer bad experioences similar tio mine...No, I don't feel comfortable attempting Trial Voids as my URO DOC requests..I'm thinking about changing Urologists..My Uro Doc adives against Self Cath due to my Large Medium Lobe, but I feel that doesn't make sense since the REZUM was to reduce its size..He says if I attempt a Self Cath, I will damage my urethra which will cause other problems......I have a Hard Decision to make!......

• Posted

hmm...I have a large median lobe and have had no problem self cathing (the Coloplast compact male has worked the best for me - but if you choose to do it, you'll need to find the one best for you).  Some like the coude tip which , for some, gets around obstructions much more easily.  Several uros and other docs have told me it is a much better option than the Foley.  You may want to get some other opinions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.