Achalasia 'Types'

Posted , 4 users are following.

What is the difference between the 'types' [ie 1,2, 3, etc.] of Achalasia?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

There is an explanation in the booklet A Patinet's guide to Achalasia that you can download by going to the website of the oesophageal patients association under the oesophagus and achalasia (towards bottom of the page).   The distinctions are not always terribly helpful though, and some medical people may not use them.

• Posted

Thanks, Alan.  In your personal experience, and from postings on this site, are the majority of those that have the Heller Myotomy & Fund. surgery, discharged the same day, or do they at least stay over one night in hospital?

• Posted

I think most stay two or three nights, depending on progress, until the doctors are reassured that the patient can manage soft / liquid food without undue problems. But experiences may vary of course.
    • Posted

Interesting how different surgeons and perhaps, countries handle the same surgeries.  I've been booked for day-surgery, and will go home that day, unless I'm not feeling that great [ie nauseated/throwing up].  I would honestly prefer to be in the hospital at least overnight.  Even the post-surgery instructions for eating are so very different from the patient's info, that you suggested, and that I have printed.  Unless there is a different hand-out given to me after surgery, the brief info I got in my pre-op package, says that in 5 days I will basically be eating 'a regular diet.'  That is vastly different from your hand-out.  It will be interesting to see what transpires after the surgery on Nov. 3rd.  I have every intention of 'taking things slowly,' as you have suggested before.

• Posted

Hello Donna, I agree with Alan. I had POEM surgery in June even that I stayed overnight and went home following day. As far as eating a regular diet in 5 days, I believe that's really pushing it with no reason to do so. After surgery I was on clear liquids for 2 weeks then soft foods for 1 week by the 4th week I was eating my regular diet. It was very hard to hold back but time goes quickly. I would ask your doctor why the rush, I would think to give everything a chance to start healing before putting a strain on your sys. Anyway, I wish you a great surgery with a speedy recovery heading to a normal life. Good luck.

Bob

• Posted

Thanks for your info and support, Robert.  What 'type' are you?  I am type 1 - my esophagus is paralyzed and surgery is not going to fix that ever.  I just am wondering how all this is going to work...is the Heller Myotomy and Fundoplication [a new valve] open up the muscle to allow the passage of food and liquid, in a much better way...yet the esophagus itself, doesn't work, so does the food get pushed down by liquids and into the stomach.  Will food still get 'stuck' at times?  These are questions I guess, that will get answered in time, after the surgery.  I don't intend to 'push' my diet...I like what I read in the handout that Alan suggested, and I intend to do things 'slowly' as a few of you have suggested.  Probably won't feel much like eating anyway.  I'm now down Just a little over 3 weeks and I will be having the surgery; it can't come too soon for me!

• Posted

Robert, for some reason stuff disappeared from my post back to you.  I'm now down to having a couple of protein shakes a day, with spinach and fruit added, as well as a supplement.  Had 3 rather rough days, where all the food/liquid stayed at the bottom of my esophagus and higher; didn't move down until I went to bed, and reclined on my wedge-pillow; stomach gurgling.  Not a nice experience.  So decided that the pureed veggies and fish, and soupy mashed potatoes were no longer working for me.

• Posted

Yes Donna , I have type 3. I looked for help for almost 5 years before I found a doctor who knew what he was doing. The first doctor at a well know hospital, NYU Medical Center in Manhattan told me that it was all in my head and I needed to be re trained how to swallow my food. I was told to come back 3 times a week for lessons. I would be willing to bet you have never heard of anything so stupid?
    • Posted

Robert, good grief...'re-trained how to swallow food...'  nice.  Did you go for those lessons?  Achalasia is such a 'rare' condition that many in the medical field don't actually know what it is.  I've been told that some doctors never even see one case of this in their entire career.  Aren't we special, having Achalasia - Not!  As I've said before, I was blessed in having the right people, at the right time, who 'knew' about Achalasia.  Otherwise, I might have been seeing your 'first' doctor's' cousin!  Thank goodness you finally got a diagnosis.  With type 3, does your esophagus still function somewhat?  Is there any movement at all?

• Posted

No I never went for the lessons as I thought the doctor was an idiot. Came to find out, the doctor thought my condition was all made up in my head, there was nothing wrong with me. Another doctor told me when I get the severe chest pain that I should go to the emergency room. I sure could have gotten frequent visit miles as I would have been there daily. smile.

• Posted

I have one question can this condition be cured. And if you don't me asking are you all in the UK or overseas? As this condition is more recognised abroad than here in the U.K.

• Posted

I have one question can this condition be cured. And if you don't me asking are you all in the UK or overseas? As this condition is more recognised abroad than here in the U.K.

• Posted

The condition seems to be caused by the nerve endings that drive the muscles involved in the swallowing mechanism, so that cannot in itself be 'cured' (although theoretically perhaps the nerve system might change over time).   There are various surgical procedures that will mitigate the effects of  the muscles not working and help you to achieve a reasonable situation of managing the problem so that it causes you as little discomfort as possible.   These procedures might also stop your situation gradually getting worse.

• Posted

Robert, I like your sense of humour.  I think having this is necessary for the condition we have.  Right now I'm down to having protein shakes, a supplement drink and liquids.  While others were chowing down on Thanksgiving turkey, I 'raised'my glass of protein shake and said "cheers!"

• Posted

• Posted

No, Iam in the United States. In my opinion it's too new to tell if it can be cured. My severe chest cramps have stopped bUT now having problems with reflux..

• Posted

There is no 'cure' for Achalasia.    I am in Canada, and this Forum has been a real   help to me   

• Posted

Thanks Donna. the day I can't laugh at my situation it's time to throw in the towel. I have to laugh, in 100 days I may be your new neighbor, depending who wins our presidential election. Who knew there were 2 devils?

This forum helps when you need answers, or to calm your fears. Or to just talk to someone who understands your pain and discomfort . Friends and family , no matter how hard they try ,don't always get it. Doctors really don't know how scary it can be , the not knowing if you can be fixed, will surgery make me worse? If I remember correctly Donna, I believe you got your surgery date very quickly as from what I have heard it takes forever for doctors appointments and procedures and surgeries. Maybe that's better so people have more time to think about what they are doing unless time is of the essence. I had my surgery in a well known hospital in New York City. I was only in the hospital for 27 hrs. Now, quick story .... I take heavy duty pain meds for my back and leg pain after having 7 back surgeries in the last 9 years. My point being that the hospital refused to match what I was taking and I started going into withdrawal, after I told them I was about to throw up and told them my incision clips might come flying out they gave me a shot of Dilaudid. Now if you guessed that a 3 hr surgery and a 1 day stay would cost 80 grand you win !! Sad right? Sorry everyone for straying away from topic . When is your surgery again?

• Posted

Hello, Robert.  My surgery is three weeks from today, Nov. 3rd.  For the Province I live in, my surgery date came 'quickly,' within 4months of diagnosis. $80,000 wow!  We truly are blessed in Canada with our healthcare, although slow at times, we still have access to it.  For some reason, I am having difficulty posting on this site.  I want to start a new discussion, and will probably go back to the original site and post.  I have watched the first 2 debates....what a mess all the way around...

• Posted

Yes, my country is in sad shape. We have a choice between a nut job or a liar and a cheat. Either way we lose.

Only 3 weeks to go that's great. I hope it works for you.

• Posted

Thank you, Robert. Still having trouble posting here.  I'm trying just a liquid diet today to see if it makes a difference.  Last 3 days have been very rough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.