Weight bearing

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went to my doctor last week. This past Friday was 6 weeks since surgery. I was given the option of weight bearing with a boot or weight bearing with a sneaker and crutches. Has anyone else ever been given this option? I tried a day of crutches and weight bearing with sneakers and my upper body was killing me. The night before I tried walking in the boot and my heel was killing me. Granted for both instances I was in the city and probably did too much walking. Yesterday I saw some swelling around the scar and went back to the boot. I can drive with the sneaker on though. A bit nervous about this. About when did people start driving with a shoe?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had non surgical and was told i could drive at 12 weeks but actually did not drive until around 15 weeks mainly because my foot was too stiff and I did not have to drive at that point.
  • Posted

Hello Skigrass

Just be careful. I haven't had an operation myself but taking into consideration what I read from other patients, resting and non weight bearing are two really important things.

Take care and all the best

Cris

• Posted

I was not given that option; I had progressive weight bearing in the boot. As far as crutches go, you might want to check out crutches called "mobilegs." I borrowed a pair from a colleague that had broken his leg last year. They have all kinds of superb ergonimic features. Look them up online; apparently they won't publish my post here if it has any links in it. Very adjustable for height, the part that goes under your armpit has a spring and is on a swivel so you don't get the chafing (that was REALLY uncomfortable with conventional crutches). The hand holds are angled so you don't have to hold your arms at an awkward angle, and they are well padded with leather instead of foam rubbber. They are about $120, but worth every penny, and you can order them online. Good luck!

• Posted

6 weeks today since I had my rupture repaired. Been in boot since 9/8 and had one of two wedges removed last Thursday. I drove Saturday not far for first time since 8/19. Plan on doing so full time this week. Don't know what plans are for full weight bearing which I've already been doing against medical advice. Feels strange but as long as there is no swelling around incision. Iam good but who knows how or my foot is. Do it if you can is my advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.