Fingernail fungus

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had any luck treating fingernail fungus, I've read that the anit fungal meds have some nasty side effects and you have to take them for months. Other than having the nail removed any suggestions?. I have found to herbal type treatments recommended on the net but they are mail order.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm using a prescription cream called ciclopirox. I got it from my dermatologist. No oral meds. It's working, slowly but surely and no side effects. I've read that you can use vinegar soaks, but I haven't tried them. Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks for that I have an appoimtment with my  dermatologist in a couple of weeks for something else I'll see him.

I've read all those vinegar soaks peroxide etc don't really work and I wanted to get on it fairly quickly

• Posted

Ciclopirox is also available as a medicated laquer. It can help with mild infections that do not affect the whole nail.

Beware of ordering 'herbal type treatments' of the net. You are much better off going through previous posts on this forum and you will find suggestions like tea-tree oil, marrigold oil, etc.  

If the whole nail is affected a medication-free alternative would be laser treatment. 

• Posted

Thanks Dan I was a bit wary of ordering on the internet that's why I asked smile I'm seeing the  GP this week so I'll ask him for it so I can get on it a bit quicker. Its not the whole nail so hopefully its only mild at the moment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.