Ocular herpes from spit in eye?

Posted , 4 users are following.

A little over 2 weeks ago, i was talking to my friend and as he was talking, a piece of spit flew out of his mouth and landed directly into my eye. I have been a little worried ever since, that i could have contracted herpes in my eye from the spit.

I have been doing research online and it says its not likely, but it IS possible. I was wondering what you guys think. I cannot help but freak out over this, even though i know the risk isn't large. 

I was tested back in Feb for HSV 1 and 2 and both came back negative. 

Anyway, what do you guys think are my chances i could have gotten ocular herpes? He did not have any visible sores when it happened. 

Sorry for the long message, but thank you in advance for your responses!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Stop worrying as the chances are so very slim.

Sure it would be 'possible' but he would have not been contagious unless he was having an outbreak at that exact time.

I'm allergic too the virus, 😰 So much so it could kill me.

'Steven Johnston syndrome' if I'm in contact with anyone who has it although I don't have it myself.

You have nothing to worry about.

I'm more concerned that you went for the tests beforehand?

There must have been a reason to?

• Posted

The reason I did back in Feb was just to check, because it was my freshman year of college and i wanted to just be safe. 

So, if the person was having a current outbreak at the time the spit hit my eye, would i get ocular herpes? I'm almost sure he wasnt having an outbreak as i didnt notice anything. 

• Posted

Don't worry the chanes are so so low if someone was having an outbreak also it will be more likely to catch it with direct contact less likely with a small droplet to the eye 

• Posted

I very much doubt that you will get it at all.

That said, just to put your mind at rest?

Have another test done.

It will come back clear but stop you worrying about it.

Xxx

• Posted

thanks. 

the thing i hate the most is how you need to wait like 3 months before having a blood test. But im pretty sure ill be okay. I get paranoid easily

• Posted

what did it come back as please tell me
  • Posted

please help i was chewing on a water bottle cap and i got spit on my arm and then i wiped my eye not thinking i get cold sore by the way and i got a little bit of spit in my eye and im worried pleaseee help it was a little bit and i cleaned my eye out and hurryed and i need help )=

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.