Advice

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have recently recognised I have a drinking problem. Well I've known for a long time but beginning to address it now. I depend on alcohol to relax and to elevate withdrawal symptoms. I have made an appointment with a counselling service for 2 weeks time. I feel a let down as a mother and a wife. I feel anxious all the time and have started anti depressants. Guess I'm looking for moral support from this site!

Thanks

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am in a very similar position to you. The difference being that I have been on ante depressants for years now and didn't drink before (very rarely). I have come to the conclusion recently that it is the particular type of tablets (serotonin linked) that have actually caused my desire for alcohol, which have now turned into cravings. 

I am going to see my GP (new GP, new surgery, new area) and don't know what he will think but I am now convinced!

I have an assessment appointment for tonight re depression and have had an assessment appointment for Recovery to address the alcohol. All very early days but a step in the right direction.

I am sharing this with you as I know how much we 'beat ourselves up!'. I hope that I will begin to make progress and can then encourage you too.

In the meantime give the antedepressants time to work and stabilise and keep an eye on your alcohol intake/cravings to see if they get worse. I wish I had had this advice myself much earlier as I wasn't even a drinker!

Take care

• Posted

How did your assessment for depression go? My appointment is tomorrow so feeling anxious, however like you said all steps in the right direction x
    • Posted

Hi, my medication is going to be changed in 2 weeks. I have to keep reducing my sertraline so Ican start Mirtazapine. I explained my concerns re SSRI and alcohol cravings etc. The new one I am trying is a SSRN and works differently. We shall see how this goes.

i was also giving sleeping tablets for 2 weeks as ai haven't had more than 3 hours sleep a night for months and slept terribly for a long time.

Will keep you posted.

All of the best for tomorrow; make notes that you can refer to? I did and the doctor was amazed how much we got through, even if superficially to begin with. Somewhere to start and follow on from.

• Posted

Thank you, I will. Making notes and little snippets of how your feeling def help. Not to sure on abbreviations but will google! I'm quite new and suppose lacking knowledge. Ive ignored my problem for so long! Hope you don't me asking but did your depression start before or after your drinking? I'm not still which way round mine goes?! Appreciate your feedback. Take care xx

• Posted

My depression definetly started before drinking!!!!

I was never much of a drinker and I mean practicallly teetotal. The drinking came on gradually then  got worse. Dosage has been increased over time due to very stressful circumstances. It was only fairly recently that someone on this forum who PM me and asked if the drinking started after starting antedepressants that I began to realise the link and researched it.

i wish I had understood this when put on ante depressants, I could have avoided starting. 

Ah well at least know I have the knowledge I can address it.

Do let me know how you get on? Xx

• Posted

Wow, that's interesting stuff. I have previously been on anti depressants after loosing my best friend to cancer and as soon as I left the surgery I felt empowered because I took a step forward. However this time they seem to have little or no affect at all. Since on them I've took a step back and have increased drinking. But I wasn't honest with GP so that probably didn't help! Really appreciate you talking to me. I hope you feel better soonsmile

• Posted

No problem. Keep in touch, it helps to have some to talk things over with. It took me a long time to be able to find the relevant research but basically it explains why the SSRI's cause the alcohol cravings...something to do with the receptor sites. I can't put the links on here or they may not allow this message. I will see if I can PM the links. I think that's allowed. Xx

• Posted

Would appreciate it. How do you pm someone? I could give you my mobile no?! Xx
    • Posted

I just had to check to remind myself. You go on the persons name then press on message. I'll send you a hello to get it started and then tomorrow I'll check out the links to send to you. X

• Posted

Hi have PM you links and messages. You need to go into your messages, symbol an envelope. X
  • Posted

Hi Chloe. Please don't feel a let down. We all do what we can to get through. Anxiety is awful and takes over our lives sad

Well done for getting support. And don't beat yourself up

I have similar problems and have managed to taper the alcohol over about six months but it's been so hard and had lots of blips but I hope I can keep it up.

take care x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. It's easier said than done to not beat yourself up! That part I'm finding hard. Well done for the last 6 months. I'm still drinking every day but have stopped during the day. I'm hoping to cut down further and am undecided yet as to whether I need to stop completely or regain a healthier relationship will alcohol x

• Posted

You are not a 'let down' Chloe. You are suffering from a medical disorder which makes your body react differently to alcohol. There are solutions and people here will tell you what they have found works. My suggestion would be to do some reading about The Sinclair Method to see if it is something you feel could help you. This is a good place to start:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

• Posted

Paul I was wondering if you have ever heard of someone using librium and gabapentine for detoxing. Just wondering if anyone had.
    • Posted

Yes, it can be but it is rare that a sufficient dose of Librium is not enough on its own.
    • Posted

Thanks. I'm just afraid that it is and I won't be able to sleep. I wouldn't take it during the day. Just before bed.

• Posted

Normally, a drug like Zopiclone would be considered before Gabapentin to help you sleep.
    • Posted

Thanks paul. Just trying to work with what I have. I have one pill left of librium and I have to make it through the whole day and night then go to work tomorrow. Just hoping I equal out for the night. Thanks for responding
    • Posted

Thank yousmile I've been reading lots and almost looking forward to seeing a councillor this week. Small steps.... I've looked at local aa meetings too. May sit at the back of one to start!

• Posted

I think I was originally given it was the fear that after the librium I might have a seizure from withdrawal
    • Posted

If you are given the correct amount of Librium for the correct amount of time and don't drink, you are very unlikely to have a withdrawal seizure. AFTER a detox is complete, you will definitely not have a withdrawal seizure. These happen within the first 72 hours after the last drink. However, some doctors give anti-convulsant drugs as an extra measure against the risk of seizures. I personally think that is unnecessary unless the patient has had sezures during withdrawal in the past.

• Posted

Thanks Paul. I ended up not using the Gabapentin and detoxed fine. Before getting the librium I started having some crazy thoughts and ideas though. Never happened to me before. Thought I was almost hallucinating. Landed me in the ER and got the librium. Doing good now.
    • Posted

Don't ever let yourself get to that point again, I71207. Those hallucinations are likely to be the start of DTs. DTs are NOT, as many people think, the usual shakiness associated with alcohol withdrawal. DTs (Delirium Tremens) is a serious life-threatening condition which leads to hallucinations, seizures and sometimes death. It is a medical emergency if your alcohol withdrawal symptoms reach that level of severity.

• Posted

Thank you again and for the the knowledge. I thought it was shakiness too. I'm doing great now and I was drinking very heavily everyday at that time. It was so weird. I thought I was dreaming and it wasn't always scary or frightening. Just kind of alarming. What I was considering doing is what surprised myself the most. I was ready to move away to save my wife and live a crazy life to do it. Now that I think about it I cant believe what I was considering. Thank you for the warning. I did not know the signs. Since I always had alcohol olin my system until getting librium each detox I didn't even cosnider dt's. Thanks

• Posted

And I don't mean save her physically. I just meant save her from having to live with an alcoholic and hurt her emotionally over and over

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.