bisoprolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

i been on 10 mg for year and half lots of side effects started to reduce my dose took 5mg this morning feel very ruff what side effects will i have from lowering my dose

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane

I think it depends on the reason you are taking it for.

I was on .25 mg for a few months but had to stop to have an ablation done. Even at my low dose, i had many awful side affects.That seems to be a high dose for you

What side affects are you experiencing?

• Posted

Sorry, I meant I was on 2.5 mg
    • Posted

very high blood pressure i have. lots of side effects putting on weight swelling of legs feet hands knees.breathlessness and tired all the time.thats just a few of them
    • Posted

Gosh, there are so many medications high blood pressure. Could your doctor not try something different. I take olmetric 20 mg and a quarter pill of spironolactone. No side affects all all.and sometimes I shave down off of that as my pressure goes to about 105/68
  • Posted

Hi. I have been on Bisoprolol for many years, but a small dose, 2.5-3.75mg and no side effects.
  • Posted

Hi Jane, are you reducing the dose with the support of your GP?

I've been on 2.5mgs for 3 years now and hate taking it with a passion, I get some days when I can scarcely put one foot in front of the other to dizzy spells to being really lethargic, on th eplus side, it does keep my blood pressure down, I was put on it for Atrial Fibrilation and it has controlled that as well but I would dearly love to come off it or at least reduce it by half, I'm a bit scared to though I guess.

• Posted

hi phoebe yes went to docs yesterday as so many side effects with 10 mg she said i reduce it to 5mg
    • Posted

I do hope the reduced dose works for you, I have also put on weight since staring to take Bisoprolol, it's proving quite difficult shifting it as well.

• Posted

When you take Beta Blockers, you will get some side effects due to taking them and due to how they change our bodies (heart beats slower, heart pumps less blood in each minute, thus your body getting less blood, and all your muscles will atrophy to some extent because of that. Also, this is why we are tired, because our body is getting less blood and oxygen while we are on Beta blockers, so we will have much less energy. Further, your blood vessels become wider, but also, a drug affects all other organs, plus it affects our brain since Beta blockers cross the blood-brain-barrier and enter into brains).

When you take BBs for some time, our body will re-adjust to those new circumstances, and now when you try to lower the dose or stop taking them, you will experience a withdrawal.

A drop from 10Mg to 5Mg is a quite big drop..

About heart, you will experience a raised heart rate for some time, skipped beats etc, and you will maybe have an elevated BP for some time.

You can experience some pain in random muscles in your body since your body and organs will receive more blood now (on a lower dose of BBs) and your muscles will grow again compared to a dose of 10Mg. So, you may experience a random pain in body/abdomen in upcoming days/weeks.

You can experience dizziness, headaches and nausea while lowering the dose also.

Plus, you will surely experience anxiety for some weeks/maybe Months, and you will be quite nervous for no reason, since beta blockers are blocking the adrenaline, and now when you lower the dose, our bodies need to handle and relearn how to handle with elevated (or more or less, normal) levels of adrenaline.

It will take at least a few weeks until your body and brain will adjust to a new level of adrenaline. Till then, you can expect a lump in the throat, anxiety for no reason from regular situations and again, elevated HR and BR as physical symptoms/response to anxiety.

A lot of people need to take this drug, but it can cause a lot of problems in some people (side effects) and even more problems when you try to quit them or lower the dose.

Good luck, and be prepared for some tough weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.