NHS process for gastric op

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have got through the first couple of hoops to be put forward for gastric op. I am at the stage where I have been given an appointment at the hospital to see my suitability and have a big 10 page form to complete. I am going to St George's. Does anyone out there know what the process is after this initial appointment, do they say yes or no at this appointment or do i have to wait. Also if they do say yes does anyone know the waiting list time. So nervous as all of me wants this op but there is just a small part of me saying are you sure. I do need it for my health though.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It could still take at least a year or longer. It depends on how the nhs works with gastric banding for that area.

• Posted

I would ask your consultant at the appointment they should have a good idea of approximately how long. Or call the hospitals waiting list coordinator they will be able to advise waiting times once you're through

• Posted

Hi I am awaiting my surgery date atm I am Under Chelsea and Westminster hospital at my 1st app I saw the bariatric nurse who arranged all my different tests that are needed to start the 1 year pathway I saw the psychiatrist,the sleep study doctor etc I was then sent on 2 group classes and also dietitian app every 3 months and on each app had to show how I was following the golden rules i.e. Smaller plate smaller knife and fork no drinking when eating only thumbnail size bites of food etc I got the go ahead for surgery and met my surgeon in oct of this yr we discussed the different types of surgery and what we thought would be the best one for me it's a long road that sometimes seems very very hard but you do get there in the end I have also got got other health problems and this surgery is going to help with them big time just stay focused and don't be put off by the waiting time as it really does fly by good luck at you 1st app xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.