Shingles the second time around..bad again.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had severe shingles 2 yrs ago, in October, lasted 2 months even with 2 scripts of expensive Valacyclovir. All pain in low back and totally in a circle around waist, butt was total breakout with raised bumpy area. Pain went down legs, fever, could barely force myself to walk, so painful to my hip bones..Was but a very bad memory. Got "sick" on 9/29, hit me instantly like a brick in the afternoon, by midnight, my blood pressure was 210/105 pulse 110. I live alone and have severe heart condition.All my med's are spaced thru the day but took them all at once and 1 of my nitro's, didn't think I would see daylight. Dont know if I fell asleep or passed out, slept till 2 pm,had to use cane to walk. Went to bathrm, butt was totally broke out..then I remembered. Have 30 V's left, taking them.(24 hrs later, mild soreness in my kidneys but mobile, no fever. Now today hurting again, low fever. If they tell you they never come back, they are wrong! The pain low level, but there now. I am praying the 1st nite doesn't do a repeat. have gone back to old shingles diet, avoiding the bad and pigging out on tomatoes I have left on the vine, beans & spinach, pineapple. Shingles severe is not for sissies.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dinah,

So sorry to hear that you are having a second round of Shingles! I am 45 and have spent the last 5 weeks battling this terrible virus. I can't imagine a second round..so sorry.

I am wondering if you should be speaking with your doctor in regards to having the vaccine once you are over this Shingles event. Apprently, you can have the vaccine 1 year after having shingles to prevent subsequent infections. Check with your doc on this one to confirm.

Keep watch on your blood pressure to make that is controlled during this terrible period. I also had a spike in blood pressure and required some meds to reduce panic attack as my shingles caused major cardiac symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon.

Rob

• Posted

Hello Rob,

Have spoke w/dr about the vaccine. 1st time around I didn't have it because of the cost (no insurance). I am in a "6 of 1, half dozen of another" situation. My last hospital admission for my heart, 4/2015, prognosis was not shiney. 6 months to a year. 5 months later, shingles. Was not going to have the costly vac when I didn't expect to live more than a year and heart med's were so high as it is.  I am 6 months past my projected yr max, ha. Am still tossing around a vaccination this time around, as my cardio dr has started calling me "Timex" (takes a licking and still keeps ticking). Yes, shingles is keeping my b/p on the high side and I am being very careful. Every day is an adventure, ha. The cost of this Valacyclovir knocked my socks off! The first bout lasted from a Sept thru the 2nd wk of Nov, I am hoping this time around it is shorter as the symptoms are lessening already in the 3 wks I have dealt with it. Thank you for your advise and I hope you are soon over your ordeal.  Dinah

• Posted

I feel your pain and I'm sorry your going through it. For a lot of people it is one and done, but recurrent shingles sucks. My first outbreak at 11 was the worst and that was righ after I barely survived rheumatic fever. It covered the left side of my face, side, and back and the entire back of my head and neck. It took months to recover, but the pain lingers. Over the last 22 years since that first outbreak I have had a minimum of four outbreaks a year mostly around and in my eye. I gave my oldest daughter chicken pox when she was 2 during an outbreak and she had her first outbreak at 7... she's 9 now and has had it 5 times.

• Posted

Rebecca, Yes, my granddaughter is pregnant and was here visiting the day I first didn't feel well and had a fever.  I told her to tell her gyno asap and I could not babysit for my greatgrand, age 4; not taking ANY chances. Could you or your daughter get the Shingles vaccination during a dormant period? I am so sorry about your situation, it must rule everything in your life, sad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.