Migraines and anti-depressant meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone take anti-depressants for chronic migraines? I was on Trokendi (Topamax) for many years and it didn't help much, so my neurologist suggested weening off of it and starting up with a tricyclic anti-depressant.. I just started and I'm on a super low dose, 10 mg. Wanted to get some info / advice if anyone has been taking them for migraines and see what your experience has been! I'm nervous about the side effects and about it possibly heightening my anxiety, but I'm hoping that won't be the case rolleyes

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was also put on a super-low dose for chronic migranes (amytriptaline).  I didn't keep it up for that long (maybe 6 weeks?) as it made me a bit 'fuzzy' and I felt like it did nothing for migranes at all. I don't think it will heighten your anxiety - maybe the opposite? I know doctors like to prescribe low-dosage anti depressants for migranes (certainly in the UK) but I have not known of any success?! Maybe someone on here will prove me wrong - hopefully you! 

• Posted

Fuzzy, hmm. That makes complete sense! And if they weren't helping you then what's the point! Such a pain finding a good medication for migraines.. what are you taking now, if anything? And thank you! 😩 I guess I'll see if they help me at all, I also haven't heard of many people having success with them for migraines!

• Posted

I was on Topamax at one point then tried another few things all with no success. The thing I am wondering now though is were the side effects I reported really from those meds or were they Aura and part of migraine?
    • Posted

Are you taking anything now at all? What kinds of side effects were you having? Because with Topamax I would get brain fog, memory loss (fun times lol), I would often get lightheaded as well. My migraines proceeded and didn't get better with that medicine whatsoever but I also get the migraine with aura, so I feel your pain. It's the worst! And I've found Topamax has MANY side effects and they're common!

• Posted

No I am not on any meds. I got brain fog and when writing my words were a jumbled mess, speech was slurred and staggered a lot. Still get some of those with aura but not the same extent. X
    • Posted

Oh my goodness! That sounds terrible. But I totally understand the aura.
  • Posted

Ive been prescribed amitriptyline. It has settled them down to an extent. I was getting migraine headaches about 4 or 5 times a week. Only getting 2 sometimes 3 a week now
    • Posted

Really!? That is so awesome! What dose do you take and have you been getting any negative side effects? I know there can be many for certain people. I'm taking Nortriptyline which I'm pretty sure is the same thing or similiar to what you're on!

• Posted

Th dose is 10mg. I take 2 every night. It took a while to work. Been on them for nearly 2 years but honestly my migraines are not as frequent and not so powerful. I hope ive been helpful
    • Posted

The only side effects i get is feeling drowsy. Thats why i take them at night and the sleep i have is awesome, i use to wake up at the slightest noise and wake up to 10 times a night but since taking them i sleep right through
    • Posted

You absolutely have been! That makes complete sense. I do feel the pills make me drowsy and then I'm able to sleep which is a plus. I've been getting lightheaded as well so I'm wondering if it has to do with them, but it's only been a week! I'm hoping they help me how they've helped you!

• Posted

I take Nortriptyline 10mg now on 4 tablets for dizziness and anxiety. I started on 1 tablet but after a couple of weeks dizziness and anxiety came back so increased it to 2 I small. Ow on 4 tabs have been for about a month and hoping that's as many as I will have to take.

• Posted

I hope so too! Dizziness is the absolute worst. I have noticed I've been getting lightheaded and wondering if it's a side effect of the pills. Have you had any side effects?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.