How long does it take for humira to work??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on humira injections since February to treat Crohns but I'm not feeling any benefit yet and I'm wondering if it's working. My consultant requested another colonoscopy and MRI, which I'm waiting on results, but my faecal calprotectin test has come back as exceeding 600 and my blood tests are all low. If the humira was working surely there'd be improvements by now? Does anyone have any experience of humira and how long it took to get a response?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey

Like you I've been on Humira since February. I am definitely feeling some benefit and my Calprotectin is down from 1700 to 168, but I was a hefty dose of Prednisalone just prior to starting Humira and was able to wean off gradually so now it's just the Humira. Some days are good and some are bad. I'm definitely getting some side effects like ultra sensitive skin, seriously hurty body and ear problems!!! But I'm nowhere near as bad as I was.

I think everyone is different and maybe you just need a little longer or perhaps a reducing course of steroids to give you some relief.

This drug doesn't suit everyone and it maybe that it's not for you. I guess we have to trust the doctors to advise us what the best course of action is.

I really hope you feel better soon

Hannah

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Hannah. I'm glad it seems to be having some benefit for you. I've not felt any benefit at all unfortunately so maybe it might be time to look at other options for me although I'm not sure there is much left.

Keep well.

Tracey

• Posted

I feel your pain.... last resort for me too as everything else has failed. I tried infliximab but that just made things so much worse. I've had to wait three years to be given a chance on Humira so I just keep praying it is working. It's only 8 months in so I consider that early days after nearly 30 years of constant disease activity, stricturing and surgeries

We have to try so hard to make our lives work around this debilitating illness and when it looks like a treatment is failing it's almost impossible not to lose hope.

I really hope things work out for you

Hannah

• Posted

Hi Tracey 

I'm sorry to hear of your situation.

Humira doesn't work for everybody as I guess you can say about most drugs.

It is good that your consultant is monitoring your levels as others have had varying support from their IBD teams who are unbelievably busy.

I started on Humira in June this year and though my inflammation levels were lowish then Humira seems to be maintaining the status quo.

In the previous 18 months I was on Prednisolone (when symptoms were acute) then Azathioprine and 6 Mercaptopurine for varying lengths of time to keep situation stable. Both of latter were initially successful but eventually caused high Liver function test readings and pancreatitis.

So I'm not holding my breath but thanking the gods for this period of stability.

Incidentally Humira isn't the last resort as newer biologicals are coming in slowly and also some find using them in combination with Aza or 6MP or Methotrexate can be beneficial.

All the best to you

Pete

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Everyone has different responses to drugs and I hope humira works for you. Just waiting for my next consultant appointment now to discuss the way forward.

Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.