Thyroid Levels Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

I have had my thyroid levels tested lately cause of some symptoms I've had. I'm sure fatigued, even after a bunch of caffeine and getting 8 hours of sleep at night. When I get out of bed in the morning my legs and ankles hurt. It takes me awhile to get moving. I was also struggling waking up with horrible migraines. I gained over 8 lbs in a month even though I've been active. I brought this up with my regular physician and he did some lab work .

4/2/15 (Before becoming pregnant)

TSH: 1.42

7/5/16:

T4 Free: 1.3

TSH 0.35

9/7/16:

T4 Free: 2.5

TSH: 0.01

9/14/16:

?T3 Free: 7.6

T4 Free: 2.4

Thyroid Peroxidase: 108

TSH 0.01

I also had an ultrasound and radioactive uptake iodine scan. That scan showed 2%, so he referred me to an endocrinologist. I was told he thinks it might be transient thyroidism but to come back in 4 months. How do I ride this out? I'm miserably tired and I have a 6 month old to keep up with. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi khiebert. Just wondering, have you been sick lately? Viruses and bacteria can cause thyroiditis. This happened to me in the past months and I was horribly sick with hyperthyroid symptoms. My doctor knew it was transient but i was so sick she put me on a very small dose of methimazole in hopes of keeping it somewhat stable until my thyroid started to heal. I was in the hyperphase for 6 weeks and riding it out was horrific.  If your thyroiditis was caused by virus/ bacteria like mine, you can start with immune boosting. I tried calming teas like lemonbalm. I changed my diet drastically to help control inflammation. No gluten, dairy, processed sugars etc.

• Posted

Usually to get the most accuracy, when posting lab results, always post the ranges for normal for your lab beside each result because they differ from lab to lab.  However, your current TSH level indicates hyperthyroidism in any lab.  Do you have palpitations?   My Endo put me on a low dosero  of Propranolol until my diagnosis was confirmed.  You may want to add supplements like Regular L-Carnitine, vitamin D and Magnesium to help with your symptoms and muscular aches.  Also avoid using the sweetener Aspartame.  
    • Posted

Ranges:

T3 Free: 2.3-4.2 and mine was 7.6

T4 Free: 0.8-1.8 and mine was 2.4

TPO <9 and mine was 108. 

It doesn't show the range for TSH. 

• Posted

Usually the range for TSH in most labs is 0.40 to either 3.0 or 5.0 so your low result at less than 0.001 indicates hyperthyroidism (for TSH a low result equals HYPER and a higher end result indicates HYPO)  For the Frees it is just the opposite.  Confusing, I know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.