i am terrified to start this drug RISPERIDONE

Posted , 5 users are following.

iv been on 4 different drugs since january mirtiazpine venlafaxine olonzapine which all made me go so ill , because of the cravings they properly made me skitz out to the point of loosing my mind and wanting to die, the pdr has now given me this risperidone , iv read up & see it has the same side effects as the others. im due to pick this up tomorrow but absolutely terrified i cant go through what iv been through again i dont think iv got the strength ..please any feedback is most welcome, i have bipolar so also take lithium. thanks for reading,

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sharon you right = to feel terrified of drugs.  I feel so bad for all the people going through the misery of psychiatrists playing Russian Roulette with prescribing drug after drug for their patients.  This happened to my son.  Risperidone was a disaster for him.  He got a long-acting injection of Invega sustenna, which is a metabolite of Risperidone.  He's been miserable and disabled for 10 months after his shot.  He's still not much better.  He kept telling me that he just wanted to die. Whatever you do, don't take a long acting shot.  The doctors say it goes out of your system after a month, but it's a lie. 

I encourage you to start doing your own research on effective treatments for bipolar and paranoia. There's really a lot you can do to try to help yourself.  I will send you some links on scientific research.

• Posted

Hi thankyou so much for your msg . My god that is unbelievable what's happened to your son .. I hope you find something that will help very soon.

Through the meds I have no family or friends I don't know what I have done, they just stop speaking. I have a 3 yr old son. I beg the pdr everytime I go please help for my son's sake. & again Im very ill. I took my son with me yday he didn't even akwnoledge him. I told him again I have researched prozac or citrolpram works well with lithium ..he dismissed citrolpram & said prozac may give me a high so he's putting me on risperidone. If lithium is doing its job I shouldn't need antidepressant that's rubbish ..then he said bye. No explanation of the poison I'm about to start ..I look at my boy & cry so much I can't live in this head anymore.. my thoughts are so black I realise I have no1 even to take care of him & that's what has kept me here.. no1 listens to me .

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you don't have the support of your family.  You are really going through a lot.  I hope that you will find something that helps.  Please read the links that I sent you.  

Good luck.  Don't give up. You can get better.

• Posted

Hi Sharon, I am on aripiprazole and find it better antipsychotic than risperdone. Less side effects. Hope you get better soon. Lou x
    • Posted

Hi lou thanks for your msg. I don't understand why he's doing this.. I'm close to discharging myself. Quetiapine olanzapine & now this..have the worst reputation for weight gain.. a registra under my pdr took me off quetiapine said he should never of put me on it with my history .. & put me on lithium I'm fine with that it didn't do anything to my head like the others & the weight soon came off. This man has made me so paranoid over his actions. X

• Posted

all i have to say from personal experience and seeing other patients while interning at a psych hospital, this drug will make you gain extreme weight... if it is absolutely necessary than your mental health is more important but even if you ate normally it will completely screw up your metabolism
    • Posted

Iv had an eating disorder most of my life believe me piling on weight makes my head explode the anger is unbelievable. .I think when youv got an eating disorder the side effects are extreme. Iv stopped eating ..just having protein shakes &;no carbs what so ever . I just want to curl up & die I really do lose the plot. Pdr isn't interested he gave me 3minutes of his time to prescribe me this drug.. I took my 3yr old son with me hoping he would think for the sake of my sons well being. No such look didn't even akwnoledge him. He wnt give me prozac because it may cause a high.. well if I carry on on these meds I will be dead . Iv tried vitamins that people take with this condition & for some reason my anxiety shot through te roof. I feel like buying prozac online just to see for myself.. thankyou so much for your input .

• Posted

Hey Sharon. Yes Respiridal can be fearsome, but remember that it works wonders for about 30% of people who take it. It is scary trying something new but what if it works well for you? It may give you hope & control that you need to get through? I say this despite my son also being disabled for 8-10 months by 3 injections of Respiradal consta. He gained 13kg in 26 days & was so unmotivated he needed help showering. Olanzipine however is manageable for him when he needs it short term, despite having the worst stats for weight gain. Prozac increases risk of psychosis, so will not generally be offered. 

So maybe try the small doses of Respiradal that are prescribed just in case it is the right one for you? Fingers crossed you can manage to live a quality life with your darling boy.

All the best to you both.

• Posted

Hi Krissy iv gone in open minded with every med iv taken.. after mirtazapine I was terrified never known anything like it for side effects.. I went so poorly my family reported me to nspcc over my mental state unbelievable. . Venlafaxine im covered in scars ..through picking at my body all over. Also taking zopiclone every night . I find thr research these meds shouldn't be taken with lithium as the side effects are at its worst. So then put on olanzapine amazing had me up and about full of motivation in days ..first 2weeks great then my head started going again like it did on mirtazapine. .feels like it's gonna explode ..the anger is unbelievable feel like a ticking bomb. .go down hill really fast as not leaving the house crying all the time & suicidal thoughts none stop. Thankfully I know the signs & come off after 3weeks .the damage this does is unbelievable takes so long to sort my head out again absolutely wears me out. Iv been on risperidAl since Thurs no side effects as yet , my mood is lifting thankfully.

I pray to god these work like I do with all.. I have to be well that's all I want I'm so desperate. .this year has been so bad iv never been so ill. But I think I will discharge myself from the mental health hospitl if these don't work. Why is this pdr not listening to me ..I feel like I'm wasting his time.

My word why is your son given it by injection another person I have spoke to told me how bad they were ..

Thankyou I wish you & your son well also x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.