Nightly pain in both calfs, knees and feet

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Lipitor 20 mgs. since 2009 (7 years and started at age 48). I began having terrible calf pain only on one leg about 3 to 6 months of starting the med and only at night when ready to sleep.  It drove me nuts but it was not every night but a few times weekly. Little by litle it got more frequent and more areas. Fast forward to today I am 55 years old and in constant nightly pain in both calfs, knees and feet everynight.  I am a pet sitter/dog walker and I also have my own dog I walk at least a few miles daily and so I get lots of exerise and stretch but still at night my legs, feet and knees feel like ran a marathon.  The pain sinsation is strange, like a constant dull, pulling, twisting feeling in my calfs, my knees and feet are just very painful.  Does not really bother me when I am moving. My colesterol was super high at age 47 and the doctor scared me about it. I am really scared to go off of it now. I do think I exercise more now than I did at age 47 so that migh help but still I am nervious to stop my statins.  I am tired all day because I can't get to sleep until 3 am or later sometimes.  What else is there?  From what I can tell everything for colestorol causes muscle pain as a side effect.  Thanks for the vent. smile

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I asume you are in the US ? Here in Aus ther is a product called Stat Guard, most naturepaths have it might help if you can find it. If not CQ10 and Magnesium might help
  • Posted

Maybe you should see another Dr. never hurts to get a second or even third opinion.

• Posted

Hi,  i went on statins march 2014 for high cholesterol.  In the six months i was on simvastatin i felt very I'll but things were subtle.  After six months I had muscle wastage I was losing about ten pounds of muscle every week.  I exercise a lot maybe that was the link I still exercise every day by cycling.  I came off themselves nd can't  use the drugs now.  Hen wastage was every muscle, face, shoulder, hips legs were terrible I was bone.  Two years later I have muscle tone now and am trying to lose a bit of weight.  I worry so much about heart attacks and like you say what can we co?  I exercise, try to eat well.  Don't drink, smoke. Blood pressure is good if we do these things and statins don't agree with us what else can we do. Starve ourselves?  I think knowing my cholesterol reading has made my life miserable,  my go did say it's the ratio but I don't know if this is true.  

• Posted

Very sorry about spellings my stupid iPad 
    • Posted

I read this on a site today, food for thought

"Think on this statins have been the most widely prescribed drugs for decades, yet heart disease is still the number one killer in America. If statins were effective at reducing the risk for heart disease we would have seen some reduction in heart disease rates by now, on the contrary it is still rising.

Now what has increased tenfold since the introduction of statins has been dementia and Alzheimers diagnoses. Also the emergence of mysterious nerve pain related conditions like fiber myalgia".

• Posted

Hi Karla - I'm going to be blunt. Statins are poison. I was on them for two years with multiple negative, snowballing effects - including the ones you have mentioned here. The pain in my joints bear no description. I threw away the statins and the doctor a year ago and have returned to my old self again. What relief!

I would also like to echo the statement Jane has contributed to this thread. Statins are one of the most prescribed drugs in the world. It stops the production of cholesterol in the liver. The brain is 35 % cholesterol - imperative for proper funtioning. Alzheimers is just one side effect of statins. I think we are being conned about their efficacy and 'safety.' Best of luck with your decision on this matter.

• Posted

Hi Wayne,

i have ace health anxiety and my died died at 56 due to heart attack and heart disease but how do you not worry about it,  I seem constantly to be waiting for pain etc especially now I am 51 myself.  Like you the statins caused terrible joint pain and my rotator cuff got calcium to compensate which has now gone too hard to get out without surgery.  I was well before statins.  I believe my cholesterol came down too low and I got ill.  Maybe exercise makes our body want more cholesterol who knows,  I also think the heart is a muscle so any atrophy must be bad for it.  Funnily enough it was my local chemist who told me to come off them my GP wasn't bothered.  

• Posted

I have often thought I which I knew a pharmacist to ask about statins because I feel they would have far more information about it than Dr's.I hope you can find a dr to help you

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Thank you.  I have been to my local pharmacist a lot about things over the years and they seem to have a lot of compassion and she advised me to get ck levels checked which were raised two years ago,  My GP wasn't bothered at the time and just said who knows why you've lost weight and didn't even look at medications at the time.  I kept a weight diary and in one week went from 8 stone 13  to 8 stone 1 came off the statins and put 9 pound back on within two weeks,  I hope my information helps anyone reading the forum.

• Posted

Sue look for Compounding Pharmacists, they can actually make specific medication for you. You may have to then go to a GP with your note of what you need and he / she will then have to write a script for you. These compounding Pharmacist have a vast knowledge of drugs, what they do and how they interact with each other. I have had cream made and was given samples of several "base" creams free to try to see which I would not react to before the actual medication was mixed with the cream and then sold to me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.