Fibromyalgia??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. I will try to be brief. Approx. 3 months ago I stopped eating, overnight. I can eat but just dont want to and feel bloated when I do. I lost 10 kg in 3 weeks. Went to docs, had bloods for just about everything but nothing conclusive. Had gastroscope which showed i had inflamation caused by excess acid (had acid reflux for about 6 months prior) and a small hiatus hernia. Had CT scan which showed nothing (other than a calcified fibroid). Other symptoms include back pain which is extreme if I lie down so I sleep (sort of) propped up on pillows. Severe shoulder and neck pain. Some nausea after eating (but no sick and diarrhea). Full body pain after eating any meat (given it up). More recently I have twitchy legs at night, occasional tingling in legs, hands and feet in the mornings with feelings that my hands and feet are swolen (but they`re not), headaches, feelings of `drunkness` (not had a drink for months), loss of balance (goes with the drunk feeling) clumsiness (keep dropping things), forgetfullness (i`ve always had a good memory) speech problems (cant say what i`m thinking and mixing up my words), prone to bruises at the slightest touch (i have always bruised easily but far worse now and I am covered in bruises I cannot explain). I have now lost aroung 15 kg and although the weight loss has slowed its still dropping (I could afford to lose it so not panicing yet). Doc just looks perplexed and says to wait to see the Enterologist but my appointment was cancelled 2 weeeks ago and the new one is the middle of november. I am on Omeprozole for the excess acid which has improved but I still have bad indigestion when I eat. I was very ill last week so saw an emergency doc who was trying to go down the depression line and tried to prescribe anti depressants but I said no. Have got Amitriptyline to help the pain but am struggling to function if I take them (and all they actually do is knock me out, the pain is still there in the morning) so have gone back to just paracetamol ( I am self employed working with animals so I need to function properly). A few people (friends) have mentioned fibromyalgia when I have told them my symptoms but when I broached it with the emergency doc she said no as the not eating and weight loss were not indicitive (although the rest could be). Back to GP next week so will mention it again to her. Sorry it wasnt as brief as I had wished but just wondered if Fibromyalgia just may be a possibility. Can any of you Help?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, so sorry your having a terrible time. It does sound like you have fibromyalgia. I'm no expert so please don't take me literally. I have had a lot of the things you mention including the weight loss and sickness. I go through stages of loss of balance being sick. I definitely get tongue twisted and forgetfulness comes with the fibromyalgia it's called fibro fog. I'm always forgetting stuff. The past 6 months I have had shoulder pain it's bloody annoying and I'm still having problems with it. I drop stuff too and sometimes I just bump into stuff without knowing. I've been through the twitchy legs syndrome. Kept me awake for months. It was like little electrical impulses shooting up my legs never both legs at the same time but it would switch from leg to leg. If you do have it you will experience a lot of unexplained goings on with your body. Don't panic though. Anything new you discover make a note of it. Ask people on here of their experiences with fibromyalgia you will gets lots of responses from people suffering from many symptoms related to fibromyalgia. Everyone I have chatted to in this community are lovely people and I'm sure you will get answers to a lot of your questions. Take care and good luck. KS.

• Posted

I can't believe you all are going through the same thing that I am!! This is unreal! I will be having a colonoscopy Oct 11. The forgetfulness is overwhelming! I have always been very sharp and quick on my feet but for the last 2 years that has changed drastically. A lot of the times I am dizzy and clumsy. I will be 45 in another 2 weeks. So I am still very young. The doc keeps saying it's fibromyalgia and there is really nothing else to be done. They are always trying to put me on depression meds. Everything on my body hurts on any given day! Sometimes my chest hurts so bad I feel like I'm having a heart attack. I have perfect bp. And all my blood work is normal. I also take prontonix for acid reflux. Idk what to do. I feel that I am driving my husband crazy. WHAT THE HECK IS FIBROMYALGIA???!!! HELP!! YOU GUYS ARE ALL SO AWESOME!!! 😙

• Posted

Hi Vital,

Sorry to hear your experiencing the dreaded fibromyalgia syndrome. Like so many us we are all looking for answers. Fibromyalgia is a muscle fatigue syndrome. In short it effects every muscle no matter how big or how small. Muscles you never thought you had !

Everybody here in this community are wonderful and are willing to share their stories so there is always someone like yourself going through the same symptoms aches and pains.

It's amazing so many people have this and joining this community certainly helps you understand it a bit more.

Good luck and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask on here.

Best wishes KS.

• Posted

Thank you so much for that Kevin. I'm getting paranoid that the doctor thinks I'm nuts. The more I read the more convinced I am but we'll see what the GP says. I just want an answer even if I have to live with whatever it is for the rest of my life. It is getting me down not knowing. Take care of yourself too. M

• Posted

Thanks Kevin! Yes I know what they say fibro is but it still seems all made up. Like I would like to know what's really behind the disease. My doc said it just means wide spread pain with no medical reasoning behind it! So happy I found this site!!!

• Posted

Yes mymaude! I'm with you!! My doc looks at me like I'm nuts!!! My legs, stomach, and chest are the worst! Headaches had stopped for a while but lately they have come back. Idk. Tears.... I have a perfectly sane human being and refuse to take drugs. All I take is ibrup 800 and tylenol for pain. My rheumatologist wrote me out a prescription for physical therapy. I guess I will give it a try.

• Posted

Hi Vitav. It is crap not knowing, and scary too. I had a frozen shoulder a couple of years ago and thought my other one was freezing but this is a totally different pain. I also have severe temp fluctuations which I put down to the menopause (I'm 55) but it is definately worse than hot flushes going from shivering to sweating in a matter of seconds. Chin up and keep going I still all we can doalong with harassing the GP. Take care. M 

• Posted

Lol ! So many of us have gone or are going through that. My GP said she thought I needed antidepressants. Sod that I'm not depressed just in bloody pain the depression is an after thought that comes after the fibromyalgia starts turning your life upside down. Get shut of my pain and maybe I won't feel suicidal lol. Seriously though I think all GP's don't have the answer and therefore it's easy to blame it on depression because they have nothing else to go on !

• Posted

I totally agree Kevin!!! I know I am not depressed!!! But all the pain does cause severe anxiety at times! Well.... It is what it is!!!
    • Posted

The anxiety is only the tip of the iceberg. The lack of understanding about this syndrome from the professionals makes it a lot worse because they don't seem to have all the answers everybody wants and needs. There's nothing worse than the daily grind of being in pain with some part of your body.

If we could get some form of release from the chain of pain on a regular basis wouldn't that be something !

Until then we all just soldier on and deal with whatever this syndrome throws at us. Sad but true.

• Posted

Perhaps Mymaude you may need a referral to a Rhuematolgist?   If your GP isn't "game" to give you a diagnosis, a Rhuemy is the one who specializes in this area, and can also help with all of your pain issues too.    I feel this is your next step......................Bron

• Posted

what is it with docs and wanting us on antidepressants???  sure they work on the neurotransmitters - but only sometimes!  my gp toldme the one i was taking, imipramine, would help so he put my script up from 150mg to 600mg and nothing changed re the pain.  so.  i then saw another doc at the same practice and she threw her hands up and said ooh that is so high - very bad for your heart and reduced my script back down to 150.  another doc almost screamed at me that 150 was FAR TOO HIGH  and that I should stop them all together - then told me he wanted to prescribe DULOXETINE - which, if you read the enclosed leaflet, lists all my symptoms as side effects!  so. off to see the consultant at the Pain Clinic who said - oh you should be taking at least150mg of imipramine!  more than a little angry and confused!

• Posted

Gosh Peta;   that would cause me to "maybe have a screaming match at them all"...lol.............how are we supposed to get any help, when the so-called professionals can't even agree.   That would make me want anti-depressants just to cope with them.....or have a laughing fit to stop me from screaming................so sorry re this one for you.....Bron

• Posted

Hi mymaude; yes, I do think that you have Fibro, and many sufferers also have a history of IBS, (and others also have history of Menstrual issues, too).  Your notes on your eating and weight loss, maybe IBS, and if you go onto this site (there is one on IBS, too), you may see a correlation of your symptoms???  if this is so, then trial a change of diet and what else it suggests (even other sites on treatment of IBS may help)......I have 2 children who feel they have some symptoms of IBS, and they find that ANY carbs give them a Lot of side effects.   I have never had these issues, but from what I have read on this forum, and from what  the children have said, it does sound as if this could be an issue for you???    keep us informed of what you find, and any results........................Bron
    • Posted

Thank you Bronwyn. IBS was bought up by doc but again was dismissed so I will read up about it and bring it up again next visit. I have changed my diet completely and avoid carbs pretty much totally now. It's quite sad as I had a great appetite for just about everything. I now eat mostly salads, veggies, fish and my own eggs, all in v small amounts otherwise I am in a lot of pain. My appetite is improving but poor hubby has to cook because by the time I've made a meal I've gone right off eating. Ah well at least I can buy a whole new wardrobe now lol M

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.