Achilles Tendon Surgery Recovery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I've had a long drawn out diagnosis for my ruptured Achilles' tendon. Ruptured 3 months ago and took 8 weeks to diagnose as US scans were inconclusive due to swelling. Had another scan at 8 weeks and was told it was completely ruptured with 15mm gap in middle of tendon. Was refused surgery and told that conservative treatment would work, I kicked up a bit of a stink as the orthopaedic consultant wasn't at the US scan and the position the radiographer held my foot in, in order for the ends of the tendons to meet was so difficult to achieve in a cast that I was certain I was in a cast with the tendon ends touching and therefore unable to reattach to each other.Spent the last 5 weeks in cast and air boot before being rescanned due to my persistence. The consultant was at the US this time and was told that the gap had increased. So much so that surgery would be essential and it would need tendon from my big toe to help reconstruct. This was last Thursday 29th September 2016. They moved really quickly and I was operated on this Tuesday just gone 3rd October 2016. I've been told the operation was a success but to expect 6 weeks in a cast followed by the same in a boot. The cast at the moment is back slab which will be changed at 2 weeks, presumably to a full cast once he swelling has calmed down. I'm finding the pain really excruitating, just a constant burning sensation in my leg. I'm taking 60g codeine and she 1000g paracetamol every 6 hours as can only take 8 tablets a day. Going to the loo for a minute with my foot down causes all sorts of pain and foot goes really red/purple.The painkillers tend to last about 3 hours so do have periods of pain before being able to take more medication. I'm looking for anyone else to please comment or advise if this pain is normal and if you have or are underground a similar recovery please do post with any help you might have. At the moment I'm lying down with foot above my heart as much as possible.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there! I completely tore mine in April and had to wait 4 weeks for surgery in May. Had cast after cast (I think 6 to be exact) went into a boot then back to cast cause it wasn't healing right. September 1st I was released from Doctor for 6 months and am not walking in regular shoe with almost no limp. I do have swelling still especially towards ends of day. It does getter better. Don't loose hope! The pain is horrible during the recovery period, it is normal... hang in there and don't give up hope!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to hear from people who have suffered with this lengthy recovery. As you well know, psychologically this is very demanding due to the slow recovery. Now the surgery has been done my mind is in a slightly better place than it was knowing that the first 5 weeks of cast and boot were a waste of time.

I've never been one to sit still and now I have to!

• Posted

Hi Jody. I am 11 weeks post op total Achilles rupture. Sorry you're experiencing so much pain. Fortunately I didn't experience any pain after surgery, however, even today the burning sensation is driving me crazy. I was in a cast for a very short time as it rubbed my incision, so I was put into a boot and i sm still in the boot. I wonder if you're experiencing so much pain due because of having to use a tendon from your toe and the severity of the tear. Hang in there. Things will get better. smile

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Raven. Day 6 after surgery today and Pain is now much better when foot is elevated, which is basically all day!

Still getting the rush of pain when foot is lowered to use crutches to go to the loo or attempt to do anything other than sit on my chair with my foot elevated. I think there is a very gradual improvement as can sit for a minute or so with leg bent down and foot near the floor it's only when I stand up on my good leg and let my repaired leg hang down straight that it is really uncomfortable. Fingers crossed by the end of this week it'll be more comfortable and I can at least attempt to go in to work for a day (obviously not driving myself!)

• Posted

Hi Jody

I ruptured mine in April 16 and it has taken a long time. My advice would be to be strong and literally take it one step at a time... it does feel like it's never ending but I promise you it will get better. Your cast will likely to be on for about 6 weeks and then into an Airwalker boot which will gradually get you flat footed. What ever you do dont try to push yourself too hard and be directed by your consultant. One thing I found really useful was once I was allowed to take the boot off was regularly wash your foot with warm water and massage very light around the scar. This will keep the scar tissue moving st stop it sticking. Keep faith and you will get there it just takes time.

• Posted

I'm now 3 weeks post op and feeling a. It Moreno positive. It took 9 days after the operation before I could lower my operated leg for more than 30 seconds. After two weeks I was taken out of he half cast and put in a full cast which is much lighter and lower below the knee so doesn't irritate the back of my knee when moving around on my knees!

Quite a long scar due to having tendon transfer from big toe but stitches are didn't appear swollen although the tendon is extremely thick.

Due back next Thursday which will be 4 weeks and two days since the op and praying he lets me go into a boot although I think he'll make me wait until 6 weeks due to the fact that there was a tendon transfer involved.

No physio until in the boot, toes moving freely and feel eager to push on!

• Posted

Hi, I'm Larry.

I rapture my achilles approximately three months ago. August 2, 2016, I had the mini surgery where they connect the achilles from the top and to the bottom of the heal so it could heal faster at the break.

I'm walking now with a very small limp and have played three rounds of golf as of today.

Part of my progress came when I made a decision two weeks after surgery to have my cast cut on both sides to give my foot circulation. You an go to the emergency room to have them do that. That give me great pain relief.

I secured the cast with a ace bandage . I can tell you the rest of my progress late if you like more.

Larry

• Posted

I had my four week post op appointment on Thursday last week and they allowed me to go into boot but still Jon weight bearing for another 2 weeks. It allows me to have a bath and also sleep without a boot or cast which is bliss😉. My wife is an osteopath so she is breaking down some of the scar tissue and I'm able to do gentle back and forth movements with my foot to try and loosen the tendon slightly.

At 6 weeks I take one of the wedges out (so will be left with 3 wedges) and then allowed to attempt walking on it in boot, removing a wedge every 2 weeks

• Posted

This is very informative. I am about to have surgery. Achilles is still attached but a bone spur has formed at the attachment and is now broken. Bone is embedded in tendon continuing to damage the tendon.

Options are wearing a brace or boot indefinitely. Eventually it will wear through the tendon.

MRI this weekend to determine the amount of damage to determine the extent of the surgical repair.

Everything I have read sounds like a nightmare. But I don't feel I have an option.

Continue to be honest about your experiences. I am trying to go into this with eyes wide open.

Betsy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.