Bad flare up :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had this condition since my late 20s, I had it controlled over the years, but recently had a very bad flare up, I use diclofenac as my pain relief and use to inject the methotrexate every week, but because I felt so good stopped injecting a couple of years ago when I left my ex and moved areas.  I had an issue with the new doctors getting them prescibed so just left it but recently with the flare up I have gone back to hosptial and was given a steriod injection which has not helped, I am trying other pain killers but nothing seems to work, I have an appointment in a few weeks but feel I need to sort sooner as its getting me down as I have 2 girls I support and work too, we live on our own and its a struggle to be motivated at the moment sad

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Anita 

I gather you are like me, having PsA.

I went to Pain Clinic quite a long time ago, also I have had various PUVA light treatments as well. I cannot stand DMARDs or TNFs so I take Celebrex Cox 2 with Tramadol and Amytryptalene. I also use VTENS machine when I flare.

Do you use a TENS I find its use beneficial  when I use it in conjunction with the Alexander Technique, Relaxation Technique. They use the Mindfulness Relaxation Technique now and your GP may be able to give you tapes or several appointments, to learn the use of TENS and aforementioned Relaxation Techniques. Give both a try anything to get away from Methotrexate and associated drugs that sees to cause me to much grief

• Posted

Thank you so much for suggesting this, I have been to see the GP last week as my next hospital appointment is in a couple of weeks and I couldn't wait.  She has put me on Naproxen and steriod tablets to see if this helps improve the pains and stiffness, it has helped ease some of the pain but still not a big difference sad. I will suggest this to the hopsital though.

• Posted

anita 

They send me to hospital when my skin is bad and they apply Sasilic Acid to the skin then wash it off with Aquatious Cream. They also use various light treatments and they need to give mediations there and that sensitises the skin to the Puva etc.

Last moth I had an operation on one of my fingers to release the tendon so my finger is still quite still.

With all this going on I suffer Reactive Depression and take Citalopram 20mg daily before bed. Over the years beause of PSA I suffer a congenital short term memory condition because of all the pain mediations I take, I have in the past tried Suicide.

Now as a pensioner I have basially stopped using the creams because they were all thinning the skin. So I use E4, Epaderm and Aquatious cream to keep the skin moist.

My life is badly effected by this problem and I will be starting CBT again in two weeks time, as my wife thought I was going to try and take my life again, that was not the case.

• Posted

My skin healed up well, I only have patches in my scalp now so that has been fine over the years and doesn't flare up anymore just the arthritis is the problem now. I really feel for you, life is precious, please don't let it get you down, stay positive, you can beat this for yourself and your families sake.

• Posted

Try rosehip as an interim. There's good evidence of its anti inflammatory effectiveness. Also probiotics can help absorption. Otezla has now been approved as a PsA specific treatment.

• Posted

Thank you Lucy for this helpful alternative, I will be discussing with the hospital on my next appointment. smile

• Posted

Thanks hun, its nice to have some support from someone who knows what you are going through, I'm assuming you have yours under control.

• Posted

In not sure I rotule describe it as under control yet, but it's manageable and improving and I feel the may be a light at the end of the tunnel. This is my regime:

AM: otezla, etoricoxib, rosehip, probiotics,

Pain on demand: co-codamol 30/500

PM: otezla, etoricoxib, aspirin 75mg,

Night: folic acid 5 mg, omeprazole, anitryptiline 2.5 mg (jumping legs and nerve pain)

• Posted

OMG, thats a lot of meds!!! Unfortunately all we can do is try to control it best we can as life still goes on. Can I buy the Rosehip from Chemist or does it have to be prescibed? Sorry for all the questions.
    • Posted

Glad to put my knowledge to good use! Ask away! Rosehip from chemist - I use GOPO as that has active ingredient recited by the NHS - it must be medical grade although you can get cheaper if you hunt around. I get the 3 for 2 at boots. I forgot to mention mebeverine morning and evening for the nausea and diarrhoea caused by otezla.
    • Posted

Thanks hun, I've started the Naproxen morning and night, steriods in the evening and co-codomal as and when, seems to helped a lot, got my energy back, and stiffness has improved too.  I got hospital next week to get me back on the Methrotrexate, but I will be mentioning these other suggestions too so they can advise what might help me in the long run.

• Posted

Hello anita

I have had P

sa now since the mid 70s it was the devil to get a diagnosis as it basically went the the tendons and my spine first.

Been to Pain Clinic and they managed to stabalise my condition and introduced various techniques to suppress my condition

I am unable to take DAMARD, or -TNF medications so I am at a cleft sick of being left at my own devises.

I use Relaxation Techniques, one called Maxwell and the other Alxander Technique, the Maxwell Tehnique was used in Mental Health and can be used in the clutter of Life in general. I have not been introduced to Minfullness.

Also I use a VTENS and use that in time of flares and to reduce the taking of Opiates.

My medications for PsA are Cox 2 Inhibitor Celebrex 200mg daily. Amytryptalene 75mg daily and Tramadol 50mg up to 8tbs per day. With the stress

• Posted

Aww bless, I'm so sorry that you have had to suffer that long, I had mine diagnosed early 2000s and  have had it controlled most of the time but still get the flare up, i found the diclofenac and methotrexate worked well for me but having come off the methotrexate few years ago has inpacted on me now so having to get it all sorted again. Also loosing weight helped me so much, I went from a 18/20 to a 10/12 a few years ago and now am a 14 due to stress with moving and divorce so I'm trying to get that weight back down to see if it eases the pressure on the joints. I'm hoping I can control it again for my daughters sake as they still young and I don't get much support from their dad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.