Worry after surgery...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi just wondering if someone can help me with a bit if piece of mind...I had surgery eight weeks ago ..I had part pancreas removed and a large cyst... recovery is slow but steady ...where I was opened up on my incision it feels very tender ...more so when I move ...and I'm sure I can feel a lump..but I don't know if it's just my incision mending ??? I've almost convinced myself I have a small hernia?? Bt could i get one so soon after surgery..??how will I know if it is....today as been the worse it's very tender around the area....maybe I'm panicking over nothing could be just my insides mending??I should ask my GP but afraid I will have to have another op..I'm not even over this one yet...any advice would be grateful..thank you guys.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra just seen your post but hoping that you have been to see a doctor about pain.  If you are developing an incisional hernia, which I hope you are not, I would say it is most unlikely that they would operate on you straightaway,  I had my incisional hernia repair 19 mnths after my first surgery.  Do get a medical opinion 
    • Posted

Hi ..thank you for reply.....you've had a incisions hernia...can I ask how u knew and what sort of pain you were in!!??I've spoke to the nurse and she's had a feel she said if I'm in mega pain to get help as if it's a hernia it could be strangulating....but also she said it could just be the incision mending and the tiny lump I can feel could be the end of the stitches??....it's more of a dull ache as a pose to pain and comes and goes...😟

• Posted

Hello Sandra the hernia did not cause me any pain and showed up about 6 months or so after my op.   It was easy to diagnose, it first showed up as a duck egg sized lump at the lefthandside of my scar.  Over a short period of time the hernia spread to the other side of my scar and became much bigger, I was not in any pain with the hernia. It also disappeared when I was lying down.

When my bowels perforated in 2013, I can only describe the pain as the pain from the pit of hell, I had a high fever, was being constantly sick to the point where bile verdi was the only thing coming, up due to my bowels stopping working because of the perforation.  I became delirious and begged my family to send for an ambulance, they knew I was ill as I have a fear of hospitals.  I believe if a hernia strangulates your symtoms would be very similar to this as it would cause a blockage of your bowels.  Should this happen to you call an ambulance as you will need emergency surgery.  My fear of hospitals was overcome as the staff were all heroes.  It might be worth noting that it took me months to recover from my laprotomy to resection my very poorly bowel, I was in a lot of pain and very low for months and months, so you may just need time to recover.  I hope so, but hope that my dexcription of what happens when bowels strangulate or perforate is of some help to you.  

• Posted

Hey wow you've certainly been though it Hun....I have read if a hernia strangulates the pain is intense ...I'm hoping it's just scar tissue and my insicion mended...I just get odd sensations and a dull ache..I will keep my fingers crossed and hope it's nothing more than that..thank you for your reply..x

• Posted

I would say and it is only my opinion that you are still healing and what you are feeling is part of the process.  Rest as much as you can, eat really nutritious food,  take some time to enjoy yourself, you too have been through a lot treat yourself you are worth it as they say xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.