Can anyone tell me if they think it's been worth it

Posted , 13 users are following.

Seriously can anyone say that it's been with it on this Flouxitine don't remember being this bad before I went on it , the doctors should be made to tell u what's going to happen during the first couple of months coz I think I would of said not a chance now am to scared to come off them after 5 weeks what the hell x

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm wondering the same. Was on 20mgs and not great. Went up to 40 and this is day 9 and it's a living hell. Please someone tell me there's hope!

• Posted

It's been absolutely worth it for me. Im almost at week 7 now and still only on 10mg. The first 3 weeks were absolutely horrible. I thought I'd end up in hospital it was that bad.. my anxiety and OCD became worse and i didn't even think that was possible. But after week 3 things gradually started improving. Im no where near 100% but my severe anxiety has become TONS better i can't believe it. Im working my way slowly up to 20mg. I think people take big doses too fast or up their dose by a huge amount of mgs. When you do it too fast you experience more side effects and I've heard every time you increase your dose it's like starting over.

• Posted

Am really glad your starting to see the benefits , but since I've been on them and getting scared to go outside It's horrendous an all the doctor says it takes time , wouldn't dream of upping my dose till at least 12 weeks I can't go through this again .

• Posted

Here is a timetable that someone on thd no panic website typed up. Lots of people agreed eith the time frame and im finding it to be accurate too. I copied and pasted it for you:

Week 1: This week can go either way. Some find almost immediate improvement while other see the side effects (see weeks 2-3) after the first day.

Weeks 2,3: These are almost always the most difficult. Anxiety and depression can get worse than before the medication. Side effects kick in, these can include sleeplessness, nightmares, diarrhea, nausea, hot flashes, excessive sweating (especially at night), dry mouth, muscle twitches, overall muscle weakness and pain, zero appetite, and very negative mental outlook. My advice is, take these one day at a time and try not to get discouraged, not every day will be bad and better times are ahead!

Weeks 4,5: Some improvement. The side effects lessen to some point, and there are moments when you start to feel normal. Typically evenings are the best and mornings the worst. Many start playing around with dosage at this point because they are told that the Prozac should be working, my advice: hold the course!

Weeks 6,7: More improvement. Maybe 50% to 70% better than before starting. There are often blips where you feel just terrible for a few days, but not usually over a week. Some side effects lessen, but also you may get new side effects. Hang in there, you are getting ready to turn a corner!

Weeks 8-10: Even more improvement. There still are blips, but they are less severe and shorter, maybe 1-2 days. Not normal yet, but getting better day by day. The side effects are usually 75% or so gone. Light at the end of the tunnel!

Weeks 10-12: Maybe this is wishful thinking for me (I'm not here yet), but this is where most see the best results. Some quotes from this time period: "best in months", "Amazing", "Feel good", "brilliant". Again, this is for the people for whom the prozac did work, not everyone, and for those who stuck to their original dosage. For some, this happens at 7 weeks, for some, 3-4 months. But, from what I have read, 10-12 weeks is the payoff time

• Posted

I think I was the one who told to go slow then after a month I went up2days ago to fast side effects hit like a tornado sick as a dogĀ 
    • Posted

Thanks so much makes feel there is hope , give it 12 weeks then hopfully be before that though haha x
    • Posted

Lol yes fingers crossed! Definitely give it a couple more weeks, you've come this far! You might go through the crappiness with another med anyway so its worth giving fluoxetine a go. And we're here to chat and support you! I know how bad it can be. I almost quit a few times. Im so glad i didnt Xx

• Posted

Yes every time you go up you will have side effects againĀ 
    • Posted

I think you're right about too large of doses. After I could not afford fluoxetine ( 20 mgs), I went to  Citalopram (40 mg). My Doctor said I needed higher dose with Citalopram to equal 20 mg of Fluozetine.  Well I did not like Citalopram at all, made me sleepy, and had head rushes. I first weened myself off of all anti-depressants, then started with Citalopram only at 20 mg and am doing much better now. I think 40 mg was too much for me.

• Posted

How long should I be having side effects for? Today is day 10 going from 20mg to 40mg and my anxiety is still a lot worse. I'm getting ready to call my dr and go back to 20mg. I feel like I can't deal with this much longer

• Posted

How long was you on 20 mg before the doctor up it ? I really feel for you it's awful my doctor has put me on propranolol as well as the Flouxitine because of the anxiety I would go back an explain how ur feeling , xx

• Posted

Am on 20 mg how long do u think these anxiety attacks Will last for now feeling a slight bit better with the propranolol but that must be masking how am feeling xx
    • Posted

Been on them 5 weeks Sunday xx
    • Posted

I was only on 20mg for 4 weeks before he upped my dose. I'm calling him on Monday to go back down bc I can't handle the 40mgs! I also want to talk to him about a beta blocker.

• Posted

Hi vanilla I would call him , doctors really don't understand what we go through , they say it won't be much difference because it already in your System if they only new the feeling ?? An Iv been put on beat a blockers an they do take the edge off the anxiety Good luck , they do say ! people on this site don't move up on your dose till at least 12 weeks xx

• Posted

Hi, how much propranolol did your dr give you? How long before it started to help? I'm seeing my dr tomorrow and I'm going to ask for it. Thank you!

• Posted

Hi he gave me 40mg an said take it when needed , you can have them three times a day , but some time a break one in half an just take that , they really do take the edge off good luck let me no what he says ?
    • Posted

Ok thanks so much! I was thinking this was something you take every day. Hopefully this is what I need to feel better.
    • Posted

My doctor gave me 25mgs of adenolol to take twice a day. It's a beta blocker as well. So far I've taken three doses and don't notice much of a difference. Does it take a few days for it to work? Thanks!

• Posted

Am on propranolol 40 mg , beta blockers are supposed to start working within half an hour or so , don't you feel at all carmer ? I still feel a bit edgy on them but they do carm me down , !

• Posted

Hmm, I took one this morning at 7am and I'm feeling pretty wound up. I'm at work which always makes my anxiety worse but I thought it would help calm me down.

• Posted

I would of thought it would of ! maybe u might have to be on your ones for a couple of days have u read up on it ? Hope they start working Hun ,
    • Posted

I read that some people said it worked right away and some people said it took a few days. I'm going to keep going and hope it helps soon. Thank you!

• Posted

I'm at week 7 & agree with theses timescales.

Felt awful in week 2-4, so scared & ill.

But feel great at the mo!

Still tired but that might be my head cold.

Good luck everyone!

• Posted

How you feeling now after a couple of days on the beta blockers ? Hope ur feeling better ? X
    • Posted

The beta blockers didn't seem to help at all unfortunately. My anxiety has been terrible for the past three days, today is day 7 on a lower dose of prozac and I feel like maybe I'm a tiny bit better today.  Its 2pm and I havent had to take a valium yet. I still feel anxious but it's bearable. I havent really left the house though. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Thanks so much for asking.

• Posted

R hopefully u will get better day by day now , stick with the same dose , x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.