Pelvic floor dysfunction? Help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiii, I've been having pelvic issues, starting in around August when I was getting the urge to pee. No pain, or buring, just the urge. I went and got diagnosed with a UTI, and took antibiotics, but they did not seem to work. I eventually went to a urologist who noticed that I didn't completely empty my bladder and said I have to learn how to "relax" the muscle down there, which I have no clue how to do. He said my pee looked fine too, but then they called and said I have a UTI yet again. The antiobiotics did not help. I have no pain exactly, just discomfort around the whole pelvic area and it feels tense and sort of heavy down there. I'm not sure what to do now and don't want to live with this, I'm only 18 sad If anyone could tell me what this is and what I could do that'd be great

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI Rose, you could be getting the recurring UTIs because of urine retention. If the urologist said you arent emptying your bladder properly. I know the contradiction is that urine is sterile, but leave it in the bladder and it causes problems. Google double voiding techniques to make sure that you empty your bladder properly.

The question would be why has this started to happen. If you were 35+ it would be an indication of prolpase where the bladder falls out of position because of a weak pelvic floor. Instead as your Urologist says it sounds like you have a 'tight' pelvic floor, which is just as dysfunctional as a weak on because the muscle lock-up and dont work properly, and cause pain. 

Go back to you GP and ask to be referred to a Physiotherapist. They will help teach you pelvic floor relaxation exercises, down training, and relaxation of the pelvic floor. I would advise you do not do any pelvic floor exercises, as this exacerbates the problem for now.

Please get a referral, otherwise you will be o an endless carousel of antibiotics and infections. Medications treat the sympton, they dont treat the casue. You will need to look at stretching, squats and posture correction which will help you relax your pelvic floor.

Don't know if you suffer constipation, but if so, treat it naturally and get a toilet stoorl, it will be invaluable. By getting your body into a good position elimination is easier and cleaner. Try it, you will be amazed.

Dont worry Rose, pelvic pain this is very common amongst athletes, ballet dancers etc and women and men who have had accidents etc. Nip it in the bud now and you'll be fine, if you don't it will escalate beyond the annoying infection to real pain and lack of control over your bladder and bowels.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Rose I also am suffering with pelvic floor disorder. The only relieve I have gotten is a Botox injection in the pelvic muscle, totally painless. The injection lasted for 3 months and completely gets rid of the symptoms. I am on my second injection and doin well.

Chuck

• Posted

Hi! I'm also suffering from over tensed up muscles which is causing my vagina to burn. Does the injection really work? Have you gone to physical therapy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.