Started with throat clearing and coughing. Now confirmed as achalasia

Posted , 3 users are following.

My name is Angie and I was just diagnosed with achalasia. Symptoms of throat clearing and coughing started almost three years ago. Difficulty swallowing and some choking started up with the other symptoms six months or so ago. I have noticed past few weeks lots of periods of chest pressure while eating and my blood pressure goes up after I eat. Do all these symptoms fit achalasia? Diagnosed via manometry. Thanks for all help

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure about the blood pressure, but everything else fits some of the symptoms of Achalasia.  I too have the chest pressure, can feel it in my back at times.  This is a good site to be a part of; very supportive and lots of 'sharing' of info and experiences with this rare disorder.

• Posted

Thanks for the quick reply😊 Is throat clearing a symptom?

• Posted

I'm really not sure about that, although there are times with it feels like there is a 'plug' of something, mucus, stuck in the back of my throat, well actually a little further down.  Maybe Alan has some insight on this.

• Posted

If you have had a manometry test, and perhaps a barium swallow as well, then the doctors should have the infomation available to diagnose achalasia, and it sounds like this is exactly what has happened.   The food may well be getting stuck in your oesophagus (between throat and diaphragm) and regurgitate upwards becaus eof the pressure.   The food can ferment there anbd this will make you feel nauseous.   I imagibe that it would also affect the saliva and general hygiene of your mouth and throat, so your other symptoms may be consistent.

?You may also be getting acid reflux that might cause heartburn.

?The manometry test should indicate exactly where the problems are occurring.

?This is something that is often caused by the nerve endings not operating the swallowing muscles in your oesophagus (called peristalsis) so there may also be quite a lot of tension and anxiety around eating and swallowing food, so it would not be surprising if your blood pressure were affected.

?There is a booklet called A Patient's Guide to Achalasia that you can dowload from the website of the Oesophageal Patients Association under the Oesophagus and then Achalasia, towards the bottom of the page.

?It is best not to take another mouthful of food until the previous one has passed below diaphragm level; otherwise it creates extra pressure and swells your oesophagus.   Some food, like rice and bread will congeal and cause problems, and you will probably have to avoid food with a stringy texture or things like tomatoes with hard skins that might cause a blockage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.