Small umbilical hernia, no bulge, becoming very painful. Dangerous?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I am 50 and recently put on a bit of weight. I am the heaviest I've ever been, about 40 pounds over. I was diagnosed with a small umbilical hernia. I was surprised. I had no symptoms and had a scan before and they never saw it. I did have a laparoscopic surgery through my belly button and wondered if maybe it was actually an incisional hernia? I figured I would have been diagnosed with an umbilical hernia before now. They found it via an MRI while looking for the origin of right side pain. They did see a small ovarian cyst...so they thought maybe that was source of pain. Gynecologist Dud not agree. Was then sent for colonoscopy. Super healthy there. After that procedure I became painfully gassy ??. I found a deep massage to relieve the problem ?? And found that after that deep massage the right side pain was gone! I was elated! Shortly after that ... I began to have pain around belly button. It happened after I lifted a relatively light box. Then it became unbearable to have a waist band on my tummy. In the evenings I am so bloated it's crazy...I've never really bloated before. Lower back pain. I began to have a deep belly laugh and found immediately upon laughing my stomach felt exhausted and then hurt. My primary doc referred me to a surgeon. They have not called yet for consultation .

So all that to say...tonight I am in pain. It's not excruciating... but I do have a high threshold for pain. It hurts when walking...when getting up.it feels very bruised to touch it...or if I barely brush against counter.

All that to ask...all you hernia experts...( I say that because so many of you have lived though it )... Should I wait to go into the surgeon? I have no idea how long it will be. Does the pain warrant a trip to ER? (I hate ER). I have called my primary and she does not think the pain is worrisome tonight.

Thank you for reading my short novel! Lol

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had an umbilical hernia that I got from doing six toe touches, three months after repairing an inguinal hernia that I got from doing sit-ups. My abdominal tissue seems to be made of tissue paper. Anyway, the inguinal hernia never had any pain with it, but the umbilical hernia did have some. My belly button went from an inny to an outy, and it felt like an air bubble, which I was told that that, was my intestine. They fixed it a month after I got it. The rush was mainly because that happened in the early spring, and I wanted to be in full swing ( I was on a weight loss kick) by summer. Also, they were going to fix it in open surgery, with a mesh, but because we took care of it pretty quickly after I got it, they were able to fix it laproscopically, without a mesh. Three and a half years later. no problems and I have an inny again.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your story. My working out has been on hold and I am so excited to get back with it. Your story is very encouraging. Did they know you had both of the hernias prior to surgery?
    • Posted

I instantly knew they were hernias the minute I got them. The first one, The inguinal hernia, that I got from doing sit-ups, I had it for eleven years mostly ignoring it, until my bladder slid through the tear. Then it became a bladder slider. I put up with that for another year. I guess my lesson was, the sooner I got it fixed, the better.
    • Posted

Hi, Did you have a bulge with your inguinal hernia?
    • Posted

Yes, The bulge was the giveaway. The instant I saw that, I knew it was a hernia. And It stayed until I had it fixed.
    • Posted

I am worried of the operation mainly because of my age, and also because of all the terrifying stories where's the operation gone wrong with those unfortunate hernia suffers! My thoughts and sympathise with them all.

• Posted

I was 58 when I had my surgeries. No problems at all. Most people go home the same day. I had to spend the night when I had the inguinal, because I had a reaction to the anesthesia, and I couldn't sit up without throwing up. I managed to sit up about 15 hours after the surgery, during the night. Also I was about 60 lbs overweight. When they had me out, they put a CPAP on me to keep me from snoring.

• Posted

Hi Karen, 

I 8 months post op of removaed GB. Around my belly incision, I can feel slightly sore when doing exercise like sit-ups, when lifting bit heavy things, bending over, turn around, sneezing and coughing. I see no bulge there but have a lump under belly incision where sometimes can feel it slightly big and small. Is this the symptoms of hernia? I done CT scan with contrast and MRCP, all result found no hernia.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.