Bunion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm sarah 43 and I'm fixing to have surgery done on my right foot for bunion and bone spur. What should I expect after surgery

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Those are good questions to ask your surgeon. There are lots of different types of bunion surgery with varying initial advice, some will have you walking (after a fashion) next day and some are non weight bearing for between 2-8 weeks. Depending on which country you're in will also have an impact on advice given. You need to know the actual procedure you'll be undergoing to find advice tailored to you. I'm 48, had scarf and akin osteotomy on both feet 4 months ago, weight bearing immediately, 6 weeks bed rest to allow bone healing then physiotherapy to strengthen feet,ankles, knees and back, also to build up wasted muscles in thighs and calves. My surgeon told me full recovery within a year, it's not an op you just bounce back from. I'm still trying to walk without a limp now but have difficulty driving off from the ball of my left foot and I have bursitis in my hip from years of walking wonky due to flat feet and 2 bunions.

• Posted

I just had bunion surgery (but no bone spur) almost 4 weeks ago.  I also had a screw in my big toe to straighten it and a hammertoe on the next toe, which they fused, and with a still  "to come out" pin sticking out.  I will have this out in 2 weeks.  I thought the surgery was easy.  I did not have severe pain, but I did take the pain meds consistantly for the first 2 1/2 days.  I have taken no more.  They give you a special boot to wear, and my Doctor recommended wearing it even at night, so when you have to get up, you aren't apt to get out of bed and put weight on our foot, before you get the boot back on.  There has been some soreness, but very little - I'm just very careful not to bump my foot.  It was very important for especially the first 4 or 5 days to try to stay down with your foot up to keep the swelling down, I'm positive that helped with the pain issue.  Sometimes the outer wrap felt tight, so I loosened it a bit and that helped.

The best thing I did, was to go to craig's list and buy a knee scooter (with a front basket for carrying your stuff). $75.  You can rent them also.  I don't do crutches!  This scooter was so comfortable and quicker to get around on, without having to have your leg hanging down as you are trying to get around.  I think it helped keeping my foot from swelling when I was up.  The scooter gave me much more mobility and made me happier to not be so restricted.  A week after surgery, I was able to go to a BBQ and sit with my foot up on my scooter.  I never thought I would be able to attend!  I have been able to put weight on my foot and walk with the boot on, after the first 10 days, carefully.  I don't use my scooter anymore, unless I have a long distance to cover, because otherwise I'm slow getting anywhere.   I don't use a walker or a cane.  Other than the anxious anticipation of having to have the pin pulled out, I have no complaints about this surgery.  I know there will be soreness to the bones for some time, but it has to be better than the pain I had before.  I need to have the other foot done, and I will not be reluctant to do it.  I ,was really worried, too, and indecisive, but I'm sooo glad I did it.  I say go for it!

• Posted

It's Loreen again.  I wanted to mention I'm 69 years old and it was easy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.