Complications following wrist surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there

I had a cycling crash and shattered my wrist. The radius was pretty banged up into several pieces. The ulna was a more garden-cvariety break. Anyway, I had surgery and they inserted a plave and a bunch of screws. 

I started therapy almost immediately after surgery. And every day after the surgery, I could see small but consistent improvement. Less swelling, less pain, more movement. Then exactly 2 weeks after surgery, I had a therapy session where the therapist was very aggressive in working the wrist. It seemd to me she was bending it too far and I had to stop her several times because of excriciating pain.

Anyway, later that afternoon, I noticed it was swollen like hell and I had much less movement and more pain. This persisted through the weekend, so on Monday with no improvement, I called the doc and she told me to come in for an x-ray. Thankfully, it showed that nothing had moved or broken. But now, a week after that rough session, I have zero improvement and the wrist is still as swollen as it was a week ago.

I was just wondering if this is normal. Or is there a possibility she may have done some damage to soft tissue that wouldn't show up on an x-ray. Don^t want to panic, but it seems that a week with no change is strange given how steady progress was in the forst 2 weeks following surgery.

Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Some times the therapist causes pain as he moves the muscles that were not used for a long time..but this takes a day or two ..to be on the safe side it's better that u do mri to check everything

• Posted

What a bummer.  I would call my doctor's office and give them an update and see what they have to say about the situation now that more time has passed since the physical "therapy".

• Posted

Hi Richie; I feel that you should check again with the surgeon (especially if private), and yes an Ultralsound / CT shows tissue damage, where x-rays only show bone/s and their structures etc.   I have also experienced a Physio who was too aggressive, and thought she "knew best"....and NO, pain should not be present after a physio works on you. (that is a phalacy from long ago).  they are supposed to Gently massage/exercise the affected part..    Do you have your hand/wrist in  a sling when not exercising?  

?Yes to your question, a scan should tell you if any abnormal bruising etc, and if so, try an alternative approach to the required exercises.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for that. I'm not in a sling. I have a plastic removable cast that I wear at night and on the subway or other "risky" situations. 

Bottom line is that I need a scan and will try to get that done on Monday.

• Posted

Hi, Richie,

I remember when my Mom had the same problem. She fell and broke her hips. After a massqage, the guy did a such brutal moviment and she had pain forever. I really hope you are going to be healed. Be patient because it may take one month or little more. I have surgery schedule (my wrist was broken in March 31,2016) and I just imagione that will improve my hand and my three fingers get less stiff. The problem is that I don't see anyone here successul but either with or withour fix, is an option. I opted for it. 

All my best wishes for your recover!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.