Frozen shoulder and planter fasciitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with fs. Shortly after I had to stop going to my classes at the gym since I was in too much pain. Then my heel started to hurt. A few months later after I did mua I decided I should stop ignoring my foot and went to the doc who said I have pf. He said it was cause I was not stretching enough which made sense since it started when I stopped my classes. I am still having problems with my pf but my question here is does anyone think there is a connection between the two ?do women of a certain age just get this stuff? Curious on all your thoughts.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 54 years old, female and perimenopausal. In 2016 I have had low back issues that started in January (First time ever with no known injury) frozen shoulder in my left shoulder that began in April, hip pain and stiffness that developed in June, and probable frozen shoulder developing now in my right shoulder. I am a mess! I also am dealing with some issues related to fibroids etc. When I first mentioned this idea  this summer to my OB/GYN that "maybe all this was somehow related" she hemmed and hawed and basically said "we don't know." I now am working with an integrative medicine MD who told me "I do think all of this is related. It's not unusual for women going through menopause to have various inflammatory events related to hormonal shifts." I'm not a Dr, but I am guessing that Planters fascitis could be considered inflammation. I have talked to so many women that "at a certain age" seem to have a variety of issues that are related to hormonal shifts.

So far, I have started an anti-inflammatory diet, fish oil, and am doing PT and will have my first acupunture session in a few days. I meet again with my Dr later this week and anticipate that I will begin some type of hormone therapy as well as some lab work indicates some low numbers.

So, my long answer to your question, is yes...I truly believe that there is a connection. I don't know your age, but while some men also get frozen shoulder (they have hormones too, so who knows if this is part of their issue) this seems to be predominately a womens issue for those 40-60.

Hope you are doing well!

• Posted

Same age as you. We women are so lucky!!! Lol
  • Posted

I agree with Karenus I think for women alot relates to aging and hormonal imbalances, loss of water, electrolyte imbalances, Ca++ deminiralization, slowed recovery times and the list goes on and on. 

Same for men, testosterone peaks early around 18, by 30 test just bottoms out and slows recovery time for men along with a slew of problems as well.  I ripped my Pectoralis Major tendon this year, had surgery and developed FS.  However I collaborated with my surgeon and physical therapist instead of slowing down and resting more on my FS I'm actually doing the opposite, keeping it very active with boxing, weight training and I notice I'm having less pain along with high protein and anti-inflammatory diet.  I wouldn't recommend it for others but it is working good for me.  I'm going to Doctor today to discuss MUA option so I get more range of motion. 

As far as plantar fasciitis, I developed that about 8 years ago from all the running I was doing at the time.  I went to my physician who recommended the orthotics for shoes, pretty pricey, I wore those for a couple months didn't seem to help with it much at all, along with a stretching regiment.  I remember it was so painful.  I found out about the plantar fasciitis splints for night and tried those.  Those splints made all the difference in the world to me, even after the first night my feet felt so much better.  I continued to wear them and swear by them every night for a good month and haven't had a problem since then. 

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for comments. Mua was amazing for me. Really helped. I may have to try nite splints for feet
    • Posted

What's involved with anti inflammatory diet you and k mentioned

• Posted

I see alot of success stories for MUA my only fear is the fact I had surgery for reattachment of my pec to my arm so I worry about the extension pulling too much on my recovering surgical tendon and ripping off again.  To go through another 4 hour surgery and recover another 6 months would be devastating for MUA.  I work in the ER we do tons of conscious sedation and dislocated shoulders all the time, dosing people on propofol or ketamine it's really not such a big deal to me.....just worry about the tendon rupturing from it. 

Anti inflammatory diet is a pretty loaded question which is full of research, some of it bs some actually works I'd just recommend researching a bit for foods that work for you and fit within your diet.  The basic premise is taking our immune system and kind of dialing down the inflammatory mediators whether it's CRP, IL() factors, it's a pretty complex chain of events that takes place in inflammation so the goal is kind of turning down the dial on individual components through diet.  For example mediterranean diet offers a rich complex of omega 3's which theoretically reduces inflammatory mediators response.  Fish oil obvious benefits.  Antioxidants whether vitamins or food sources like spinach, blackberries, blueberrires, kale.  Nuts like walnuts and almonds have monosaturated fat.  That'll give you a very basic idea and place to start looking to build it up with foods that work for you. 

I think you'll like the night splints it was the absolute best for me, hope it works for you!

• Posted

Thanks for encouraging me I called doc to discuss night splint. Funny thing is nurse said he may want to do blood work to see about possible mflamatiom
    • Posted

Lol labs for inflammation in plantar fasciitis?  Sounds like someone just wants another office visit and billable service, lol.  So they do blood work and see ESR, PV and CRP is increased from inflammation.....then what? He's going to treat the abnormal lab values for inflammation?   I would doubt he's looking for those values I would think it's more probable looking for tumor fracture etc.  as alternate cause along with Xray, that makes a little more sense to me.   

• Posted

Thank goodness I have amazing insurance. 100 percent coverage and no copay!!!!! So I'll just play along

at this point I will try to avoid steroid shots or oral dose cause had a lot for frozen shoulder and feel like steroids are bad for you if do too much. I'll keep u posted

• Posted

It can be so hard to know what to do, as you'll hear marvelous success stories and horror stories about the same treatments! If you google anti-inflammatory diet, it will lay out foods to eat and avoid. Basically it is using nurtrition to tamp down inflammatory responses (I am just entering week 4 and the hard part is that it takes a good 6-8 weeks to really see if it is helping). As far as I am concerned, I am willing to throw everything I have at this, as I am a yoga instructor and this is making MY JOB nearly impossible. I have had no injury and certainly was moving my shoulder through its full range of motion quite consistently in yoga (until it became increasingly impossible).

The diet simply cannot hurt me and while I don't want to avoid dairy, white flower and caffeine forever, at the very least it will help me gain even better eating habits and hopefully help my body heal holistically. I do know that lots of folks with arthritis and other joint concerns are encouraged to pursue this diet (omega 3's/fish oil etc), again, to hold down inflammation.

Lots of money to be made in pills/surgeries/PT....and all of them may have value. Following an anti-inflammatory diet has already resulted in some weight loss (4 pounds in 3 weeks and I am not overweight) and it helps me feel a bit in control of something that has seemly come out of nowhere!

Peace and health.....

• Posted

I do know how to spell flour....didn't proofread my comment! 

• Posted

I would hate to give up caffeine or dairy but have a doc appointment next week so will discuss. In the meantime trying tumeric tea and tart cherry juice
    • Posted

Tumeric is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. I haven't tried the tea yet. My Dr is a realist....she told me I could have one cup of coffee (organic) a day (not decaf as a chemical process is involved to make things decaf that are not naturally that way). I have tried and enjoy rooibos tea which is naturally decaf. Alcohol is also inflammatory, but she also knew better than to ask me not to drink any wine....so I have just cut way back, but still enjoy a glass on the weekends!

• Posted

Just made tumeric tea tasted better then expected
    • Posted

Good Lord!! What kind of health insurance is that? Are you a US Congressperson??
    • Posted

Beverly...too funny....I wondered the same thing about jull! Not sure if you are in the US, but I am, and I consider myself reasonably well insured (given the current ridiculousness of it all) at 70%! Anyway, good for you Jull if you have great coverage. It certainly helps!
    • Posted

I did get your private message! Thanks! I think it may be because you endorsed/recommended a person by name?? Who knows! Anyway, I am familiar with what you mentioned and have one of his books! Thanks for the recommendation.
    • Posted

No I work for a large inner city school system in a big USA city. Our union is very strong.
    • Posted

Would be great if we all had good basic insurance without the very high deductibles and co-pays. Was naively counting the years till Medicare. Didn't expect such high costs when I got there. Fortunately, I'm fairly healthy. Have never had a union job & never had one with a pension. Maybe the next president and hopefully a different majority in congress will see that we get better coverage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.