I'm a little nervous about a Cystoscopy!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 14 years old and I have been having a horrible urgency and pain to use the bathroom for about 3 years now. I have had numerous ultrasounds, bladder scans, ect. I recently went in for a Urodynamics test. I was really nervous because I like to keep to myself and thought the procedure was going to be embarassing for me, luckily I had a very nice woman who informed me she had been doing them for 22 years and I shouldn't be afraid. The test was no worse than the pain I had already been expirencing. We met with the urologist afterwards, he told us that the test showed that my bladder was signaling it was full well before it was even halfway there. He mentioned a severe lack of refulx. And my unusual symptoms could be an early stage of IC, He said some other things and I apologize for not remembering, they were very complicated terms! He did say he wanted to preform a Cystoscopy, he wanted to do a Hydrodistention of the bladder, urethral dialation, and really look at the lining of my bladder. Of course because I am young it will have to put to sleep under anesthetics.

I have heard bad stories....but I really just want to figure out what's wrong! Any heads up or things I need to know?

Thanks,

Anna

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had a cystoscopy almost 12 months ago , I found it to be painless with hardly any discomfort afterwards . Don't worry or be nervous . A small injection in the back of your hand and you wake up in bed and it is over . It changed my life for the better .

• Posted

david i didnt know you cud have an injection i wish i had mine bloomingwell hurt the first one ive just had an op for bladder cancer but never felt a thing as i was under anastetic but its painful noe peeing
  • Posted

Hi, I've had around ten cystoscopies now, all of them whilst awake most of them i've not felt a thing. Some a mild sting. It's more the stinging afterwards when u pee. Nothing worse than if you've ever got soap in your urethra. Nothing to worry about at all. Good luck! Hope you get sorted.

• Posted

I recently had a cystoscopy under general anaesthetic and it was the best thing for me as I felt absolutely nothing! It's far better than being awake for it. I was also very nervous about the whole procedure but believe me it was plain sailing! Hope it goes well for you - keep me updated!

• Posted

Thanks for responding so quickly! My nerves have been eased a bit, the procedure will take place on the 26th of October, I will update you then!
  • Posted

anna i had one 3 weeks ago and it hurt then ive had an operation for bladder cancer over the weekend and i had another one but under anastetic so i never felt a thing i would say have an injection i wish i had it s just afterwards the peeing hurts a bit for 2 days unless you get an infection like i did and had antibiotics i see david had an injection i wish i had for the first one

• Posted

Anna sorry for your pain. Did you have the Cystoscope test? Did you have local or partial sedation? I'm 53 and terrified of having the test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.