cant seem to get control been diabetic for 8 years now

Posted , 4 users are following.

no matter what i do i keep having constant rollar coaster symptoms with my blood sugar its up and down all day is this normal sad im 26 years old not over weight and been diabetic type 1 for 8 years in that time iv had alot of stress and i would say i was only well controlled for 2 years in that whole time i am becoming very worried about complications in the future as my blood ranges from 5 - 12 most days its so frustrating to keep the numbers balanced iv done everything carbcounting ratio watching with my insulin but nothing works sad i fear i will end up blind or get neurapathy soon if it continues anyone have any ideas or have been in the same boat just need some help sad 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Slow down big fella. Anyone who thinks that Big D is controllable is just NUTS!

One of my past Dr.s asked that question every time I saw him. Is your diabetes under control? Your joking. right? The best that I hope for is to smooth out the hills and valleys. I had 9 months of lowering my AIC (USA mate) last test it was a bit higher than before. I have been type 2 for 10 years, Insulin for 5 years, I am  going to see the dr soon so  we shall see.  I suggest you find a diet that works for you excersise more than you would like and keep on keeping on.  BIg D is not controllable, it is manageable.  Anyone who says they have it under control is either a fool or one of the luckyest folks on the planet.  

• Posted

thank you for the reassurance iv just be slated on other forumns for worrying so much but it is a problem i guess i know what you mean how it is manageable but i dont think i will ever be able to control it ahah 
  • Posted

A range of 5 to 12 in the course of a day is nothing to worry about.  I have about the same and my diabetes has been considered 'well controlled' for most of the last 15 years.

For long-term effects like the ones you're worried about it's not any one reading that matters, it's the long-term average as measured by the HbA1c test.  Your healthcare team should be arranging for you to have one of those tests at least once a year.

• Posted

yeah the long term affects are what im worried about really as iv been told numbers higher than 8 are considered long term damaging on a daily blood glucose checking scale but i dont know if this is entirely true 
    • Posted

If my numbers were always 5-12 I would be well pleased Richard. Get your HbA1C  done soon enough. I take my blood 4 times daily and inject my quick Humalog as required, to cover the food. I take slow insulin twice a day.

My overall control, after 17 years, is quite good but I do a full carb count and several quick injections each day.

• Posted

Does anyone else have anymore to add ? Just really worried about retinopathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.