Can any one help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Suffered from a PE 3 months ago went to see consultant and was told to stop taking Xarelto on the 1/1/2017 and wait to see if it happened again,If did would be on Xarelto the rest of my life.Has this happened to anyone else

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it happened to me and I was put on Rivaroxaban for life. Now on Apixaban as Rivaroxaban gave me continual nose bleeds but as Apixaban is 2 tablets a day the dose is not as severe as Rivaroxaban.  I am not worried about being on this for life as no other side effects.
  • Posted

I go back for my 3 month check in two weeks and am also on Xarelto. If you are worried about stopping the thinners and the PE's returning, you might look into taking Nattokinase.

Well Wishes!

• Posted

hi - what sort of consultant did you see?

Did he/she prove to you where or how the PE was formed?

Are there any other clots in situ and dormant?

How can the consultant be so sure if a PE happens again, that it will be a minor non-threatning isolated occurance?

Seems like you've been recieving wrecklass advice.

Can you share any more detail?

• Posted

It is normal to stop Xarelto after 6 months to see if things have settled down and see if there is no need to continue with blood thinners. Speaking with others it is likely that if it is going to happen again then it will be very shortly after stopping the tablets. In my case I felt the pain in my calf before I had the chest pain and went to A&E is I still had concerns it could be another Heart attack and another PE was not on my mind.

• Posted

So how long is the recommended cessation of NOACs ie 'patient safe time' to see if things settle down?

Are there long-term empirical science based studies /statistical/ analytical country by country information to back up Competant UK Medicines Institute & NICE TA 261 & TA 287 Guidelines as an example.

Are there tested NOAC administation/scheduling & monitoring programs in place in UK?

I'm interested to know if there is a tried & tested NOAC patient register in operation.

Maybe Rivaroyban is still in global phase trials for treatment of unprovoked recurring UEDVT/DVT/VTE/PE. It has somehow become the default STA option for both sexes, all ages, suffering degrees of illness/disability ie..chronic, acute, vulnerable, morbid, critical clots) etc etc..

I'm wondering if there are generic studies on population of UK (ONS) relating to pharmacetical drugs and consideration of overdose, has been documented, made public and observed by the health care service providers operating in both private & public sectors.

I consider the above questions perfectly normal, ethical and morally valid.

• Posted

I'm in same boat but I'm only at two months now. Go next month to see if I can get off the xarelto or if I have to continue the rest of my life.

• Posted

Normally they say 6 months on it and then wait and see if another PE occurs.  You certainly know with the next one what is happening so makes the trip to A&E easier.

A WAY Forward, as I understand it Rivaroxaban is fully approved, but Apixaban is a lot newer and there is less chance of nose bleeds etc as you only receive the tablet twice a day rather than one hit. It certainly has worked for me with no nose or ear bleeds now. I understand one problem with both tablets is that there is no immediate antidote for them whereas they can do that for Warfarin.

• Posted

the problem with NOACs is that you can eat and pretty much drink whatever you like whilst bewing prescribed the drugs. So, if a vulnerable male or female aged let's say 30-49yrs old sufferes from an Acute or Major DVT or PE, it will be a shock and major change in life and also outlook.

it is feasible for an adult to drink alchohol whilst on NOACs as a means to cope with depression, anxiety or stress. Should an adult be under influence of alchhol and excessively drunk, his or her actions may become wrecklass and an overdose in NOACs is possible in a morbid altered state especially during post traumatic vulnerable periods.

'i want the clots to go away'...

this is where underwriters of NICE TA261 & TA 287 guidelines lack in VTE comprehension and competence in adverse anticoagulation side effects/risk mitigation.

For example, repeat episodes of thrombus's getting lodged somewhere downstream of the superior vena cava and upstream of the inferior vena cava simultaneously, potentially meeting bottlenecks and full blockage leading to the lungs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.