Weil Osteotomy & Proximal Interphalangel Joint Arthrodesis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had this procedure just 8 days ago. I think so far things seem normal with exception of i don't think i can feel my big toe in a noraml way. I am hoping that will change. My foot is still in a bandage and I have the kwire in my toe as well.

The reason I am writing this is because some of the other writings where people have had difficulties made me wonder how different doctors give different rules to follow while healing. I have been told the pin will likely be in for a month and the walking boot 1 month to six weeks. I am wondering what others have experienced in this regards because from some of the writings it doesnt seem that most had to wear the boot/cast for long.

Any info is much appreciated

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was non weight bearing for 6weeks and I wore the boot for 1month, the same as you, I think that 1month was good because it takes time to get use to walking again, good luck, I am sure you will do well!!!
    • Posted

i get to wear shoes now, but before i do any tips on getting all this icky scaling dead skin off? also is numbness and swellimg at 5 weeks post op normal 
    • Posted

It is 4.5 weeks for me and I still have numbness tingling and burning. I have had my foot wrapped with an ace bandage the entire time and only wear the boot when I go out. Not allowed to walk on it until he takes the pin out in 1.5 weeks. I'm a little worried about the numbness and tingling too. My friends that had theirs done didn't have that issue.

• Posted

Ugh 6 weeks with the pin sad mine came out at 4 weeks then 1 more with boot and been in shoe for almost 5 days. It feels so weird to have shoe on it plus the calf muscle hurt for first four days of no boot.

• Posted

Yes on skin numbness but unfortunately the bone is far from numb sad it's like if I rub finger over surface of toe I know that I'm doing it because I can see myself doing it but I don't feel it on the actual skin

• Posted

Mine is the same. I can't feel my finger on my toe and other parts of my foot.  I still have the pins and needles feeling also.

• Posted

I had the same procedure 3 months ago, with the big toe fusion and pins in the second and third toes. I was put immediately into a surgical shoe (no boot or cast) and was told I could walk on my heel immediately, which I think was bad advice. The pin in the third toe slipped within a week and had to be removed and the pin in the second toe also slipped and had to be removed within 3 weeks. I don't think the surgical shoe offered enough protection. Both toes still have no feeling and I cannot wiggle them. The fused toe joint is stiff and will not bend at all, but that's what happens when you have the joint fused. My surgeon has been awful and has no "protocol" and has offered no advice. I am seeing a physical therapist to hopefully learn how to walk normally again and he seems to know more than my surgeon. My advice to you is to keep your boot on as long as you can tolerate it and don't expect your toe joint to ever be "normal" again. You'll have to wear special shoes from now on.

• Posted

i only had issues with my 2nd toe. i have also had a full knee replacement with complications so i knew going in that my toe would never be normal again. but abnormal/stiff will be an imrovemnt over the pain i had before with the metatarsal bone digging so far into ball of foot it was miserable. i mostly wear athletic shoes so as long as i can wear my shoes i am good lol. 

i wear my boot most of time only time i havent is twice when i hoped and hobbled on heal to bathroom as it was an emergency. so far pin seems in same place as bandage and boot seem to do well. just showering is pain to wrap the boot up. sorry if i complaining i am guessing i am doing well and should be thankful but at only 45 i have had so many issue in last year and more surgeries to come. 

the price my body is paying since i used to weigh 504 pounds and lost 310

• Posted

i get to wear shoes now, but before i do any tips on getting all this icky scaling dead skin off? also is numbness and swellimg at 5 weeks post op normal 
  • Posted

I had bunion and hammertoe surgery 4 weeks ago.  I still have a pin to come out in 2 weeks.  I have to wear the boot for 6 weeks and then I'm hoping go wear normal shoes, or maybe even the boot if I still have to for comfort.  I don't quite know what to expect either with that, except I'm sure my foot will be sore for awhile.  My doctor recommended these sandals by Teva - the model was Tirra (I think).  It's a comfortable sandal with velcro straps so if we still have swelling later, we can let those straps out a bit for more comfort.  The sandals were $53. on Amazon with free shipping and free return shipping, in case they don't fit.  I wear a 7 - 7 1/2 usually, and I ordered a size 7 and it is perfect fit.  I'm not wearing them yet, until I get out of this boot. Just a thought - I'm not advertising for Amazon, but I checked all over and they were the best deal.  Good luck to you

• Posted

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.