Problem with new glasses

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I have mild myopia and astigmatism. My old glasses prescription from 4 years ago (that was unchanged two years ago) was:

Left: -1.25 sph, -0.75 cy, 162.5 degrees

Right: -1.25 sph, -0.75 cy, 25 degrees.

The old glasses have a base curve of ~4.5 and pupillary distance of 60.

I have sunglasses of the same prescription with a pd of 59. Both pairs are comfortable to wear.

I went for a sight test elsewhere recently and after a bodged first attempt (left eye -1.75, 0.25, 170 that gave me crippling headaches) the new prescription was given as

Left: -1.25, -0.75, 10

Right: -1.25, -0.75, 10

The pd in the new glasses is 62 and the base curve is 4.

Frames are almost identical in size and shape.

Vision through each eye is sharp from the new glasses however despite wearing them for a week I had depth perception and distortion problems, specifically the centre of my vision felt too close to me so everything looks flat, I got mild headaches and had the sensation that my eyes were looking in different places...as if I was crossing them or one was looking wide of true. When I took them off I felt like I was looking at a magic eye picture, depth perception and orientation without glasses was upset for over a day after stopping wearing them.

The store says the test was done carefully and glasses are within tolerance, so any ideas why I am unable to cope with the change in glasses?

Thanks!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I should say the lenses are both the same material and both have antireflective coating.
  • Posted

Evidently there is a problem in your new prescription. What it is, can be ascertained by another Dr which may be considered by you. wishing you the best.
    • Posted

Indeed, I will have the prescription checked again as well. I was interested in what errors or differences might cause my particular visual effects.
    • Posted

This is going to sound weird but when wearing the old glasses my eyes are relaxed but the new ones my eyes had to be constantly wide open and I have to concentrate to keep focus. Is that what is considered eye strain?
  • Posted

Third sight test gave:

Left: -1.25, -0.75, 175

Right: -1.25, -0.75, 10

But the staff did not convince me that axis was causing my symptoms and I was sick of going back and getting lacklustre service. I lost faith in this optician and went elsewhere. Considering the third test was done by one of their top optometrists I figured it was probably right. I had this prescription made up at another opticians and when I went to collect them, although I no longer had the horrid depth perception or distortion, the vision in my left was noticeably blurry.

Test 4 next week at the new place with their most experienced optometrist.

Why am I finding it so hard to judge what axis looks best for one eye? From what I remember, what I saw was just varying degrees of not particularly sharp dots....just blurred in different ways...I apparently could not tell the difference between 170 and 10 degrees....this worries me.

• Posted

I have had a fourth eye test now at a different opticians and the prescription in the left eye is unstable... I've been referred to ophthalmology so I'm worried it's something bad.

• Posted

I needed prism correction as well which has never been picked up before :s

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.