how can i clear my blocked ears from a cold!?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

Ive had a nasty cold for about 10 days now I think its dying out but today my ears are blocked and feeling pressure I can hear like a wooping noise sometimes aswell. Does anyone have anything they know that works that will ease the congestion? Its achy and horrible, would like to clear it asap! thanks x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie

Have you tried breathing over a hot bowl of water, its supposed to work and has worked for me if ear canals are blocked can take hours though. You will feel the steam getting right through your breathing tubes under your eyes and in your ears.  When I had blockage that steam would move it felt like bits of sand moving under my eyes.  In my ears I could feel steam in my outer ear and in bottom of ear canal then after awhile the 2 bits of steam would join as the blockage drained.

This time I have fluid behind the ear drum and steam hasn't been able to touch it. When I tried steam I could feel it all the way through my ear and there was nothing to move.  My doc put a musical tuning fork on my forehead See Weber test and heaps of fluid drained, god knows why.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Katie

I forgot to tell you when you are breathing the hot water steam, put a towel over your bowl and head to keep the steam in. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. The deeper breaths you can do the more steam makes it to your ears.  Careful when its really hot cause obviously its hot.  Try little sips through your nose until you can stand the heat.

I found that putting the jug back on to boil as soon as I had filled my bowl helps  because the hot water will cool down quickly.

Also keep tissues handy.

• Posted

hi. thanks for the reply, i did try this earlier but maybe i didnt try it for long enough, will try again tomorrow! x
  • Posted

My doctor told me to use flonase. over the counter.. Day 8. And saline soray pump for the nose. 

Popping, weird noise stuff.I am still have weird issues though. Weird sounds and stuff. Steamy shower seems to feel the best. Everyone says it takes a few weeks. So thats what im holding onto. Our bodies have to know how to heal..mind till this cold so maybe a really bad germ or something. If i think about it too much it plays with my sanity. It has to pass at some point. I also have a cough so i wonder if the cough is messing uo the healing.

Some wicked cold thing is going around.

I was talking to a guy in the store he had  it five weeks. He goes into a sauna a lot now. He said that works well for him. I dont hav access to a sauna and not using a public one be ause they can be there for the same reason and  not into some new virus. So i do the steamy shower. And you can get vapor rub and put a blob of it by the shower so it gets in in the steam. 

Im thinking about those personal steam machine things but they cost sixty dollars and hard to find so im guessing they are garbage. Same with nasalk irragators i think and a saline spray is six dollars and says it does the same.its a germ. A virus so we are stuck till it heals 

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Sorry I took so long answering.  I'm in Aust and had to get back to the real world today.

Sauna sounds wonderful I know it fixes sunburn, cause it makes you sweat. Wish I had 1.

My ears still driving me nuts too, wish I had some helpful advice, I haven't tried all those machines but I know nasal sprays don't work. 

It apparently isn't that obvious that my ears are stuffed. I made it through the day with only a few people noticing I couldn't hear properly or having to ask people to keep repeating themselves.  Thank god.

Yeah flu this year was awful, My daughter brought it home from school and half her class and parents caught it let alone the rest of the community. Worst thing is its a spring flu, not when your expecting to get sick.

Good luck feeling better and hope you don't need to wait too long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.