worst ever last night

Posted , 3 users are following.

had gout for a couple of years and its managed with alupirinol and indomethacin, its been getting steadily worse till last nights attack had me in tears.

Got dropped at the local A and E as I had never felt pain like this and I have had some pretty bad injuries over the years, doc was pretty indifferent and didn't appreciate the pain I was in, it has subsided a little today, GP appoinment Monday, hope he has some magic up his sleeve

Andy

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you have colchesine?

Are you on any other medication?

How much allopurinol are you taking?

Are you overweight?

Drink lots of water. Take as much of the indomethacin as permitted.

Try ice packs (standard advice) although I found warm water helped (not standard advice).

Stop alcohol ESP beer

Stop high purine foods.

Are you having regular blood tests for rates?

Did you have proper urate reducing therapy with the allopurinol or was it "just take 100 mg per day and don't worry." How much allopurinol are you taking?

• Posted

That should read blood tests for urates.

Stop exercise till the pain gets better.

• Posted

drink 2 pints of lager every night, way down from what i used to drink, im 14 1/2 stone at 5 foot eigh inches
    • Posted

There is a good part of your answer. Beer is the worst thing for gout. Stop the beer a replace it with water.

Second you are obese. For the health of all your organs, as well as your gout you need to lose the excess weight to get down to under 11 stone 10. You need to do this moderately slowly, over a period of probably a year. Giving up the beer, will give you about 1 st 10 llbs of weight loss, as long as you don't replace the calories. In a year with increased exercise you'll lose the excess weight, help your gout, your overall health and save yourself £1,000 a year.

You almost certainly have fatty liver and losing the fat in your liver is good for you and the gout.

If you cannot imagine giving up beer for months on end, consider your relationship with alcohol. Who is the boss, you or the beer?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.