tickle in throat making me gag- is this PND?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm just recovery from a bout of flu, with which I've had a dry cough for about 2 weeks. However, now my cough is improving and I'm left with a tickle deep in my throat that makes me gag. I can go for hours being absolutely fine and then all of a sudden this tickle appears and I end up bent over a toilet, dry heaving with my eyes streaming. 

I know that coughing can cause you to gag, but what confuses me is that the gagging always comes before the coughing with this new thing. 

I was thinking- is it possible this is post nasal drip (triggered by the flu) and the mucus is making me gag? I feel a little bit congested, especially in the mornings, but it isn't anything awful. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't been able to find any info on it and I also have health related anxiety so naturally I'm feeling a little worried about this! 

Many thanks 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like postnasal drip- I get something similar. It's the gunge sliding down the back of your throat that makes you gag, then cough reflex kicks in. So annoying and also embarassing if it happens when I am withother people.

Have you tried using a decongestant spray ? And also rinsing nose out with saline morning and evening. Easiest using what yogis call a neti pot. I got mine ( a "Rhino horn"wink from british snoring and sleep apnoea assoc on line

• Posted

Omygoodness, I do this a lot. And now I do it more often since I have gotten over a cold. I thought maybe I was allergic to something, but now I believe it is PND. I guess I may talk to my doctor about it. Hope you get better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.