Am I being a nuisance for wanting my 15cm cyst removed?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Received this letter and it's made me feel like I'm being a nuisance for I want my 15cm cyst removed. What do people suggest?

Your patient was reviewed in my clinic been by yourself for found to have a pelvic mass. You had ordered the ultrasound as investigation I note that she has had a previous large dermoid cyst and underwent cystectomy 10 years ago. fixed. On examination in clinic there is definitely a right sided pelvic mass which feels quite This lady is adamant she would like it removing and if possible she would like her ovaries conserved. She does however understand that it may not be possible or sensible to conserve this ovary depending on findings. she has been consented in clinic today and a date for the operation and pre-assessment will be sent out in due course.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Bless you,

First of all no women are ever being a "Nuisance" when it comes to their health and fertility. When doctors/consultants write their reports and letters they state the facts,as that letter did. Clearly stating your wishes in a matter of fact way.At 15 cm it has to come out before it gets bigger.If you've had a Dermoid before then you are highly likely to grow another one.Ive had 10 cm Dermoids on each side,4 years between surgery.

Fertility and conserving your Ovaries needs to be clearly stated and they will do everything they can to try and preserve them,however it is not always possible.I have a friend who was only left with a tiny bit of one ovary and went on to have children.

I wish you well smile

• Posted

It sounds like you will be seen for pre op and then cystectomy .....this is good news in my opinion x
  • Posted

I got same treatment yesterday I've only got right side left with the mass on it, kept saying prob take ovary n all that, they've put you through just abit rude, ignore it.

They wanted to leave mine to watch n see but I pushed 8-10 weeks n I'll have surgery, if ur in UK prob same wait time

I would talk to ur consultant about it if possible.

Good luck n keep pushing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.