Scabies

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I work in a secure unit. A patient was recently diagnosed with inpataigo. I have eczema and thought I had caught inpataigo so I went to the doctor. Also my cat had fleas at the time which I was unaware of.

I told the doctor about work but he instantly said it looks like scabies. He gave me and my family a cream to put on all over and then again in 7days. I have since researched scabies and I am a little bit confused.

I only have spots around the ankles on my feet and a little on my legs. They are quite big and some close together but most are far apart. I can't see any sort of burows and I've had the spots for around 3weeks and have not spread to anywhere else. My daughter only had 3 spots under her armpits but these looked different to mine.

I've had to tell work today as I noticed some patients scraching. if they are scabies staff could be at risk of caching scabies. They made me feel dirty and as though it was me who has brought them in to work. But I asked a doctor when I could go back to work and he said after the first.

application of cream all over.

I am at a loss I'm not sure if they are scabies, I've been sent home from work whilst they investigate with the patients. I feel really low and anxious about everything and I just don't know what else I can do.

Could someone give me some advice please. Thank you x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Good morning Einnir40650,

I definitely understand what you are going thru, I myself was unsure what I at first had before being diagnosed. Im a hair stylist and I'm only assuming i got it from a client. Remember it has nothing to do with you being dirty. If you research, these mites can go onto anyone they come into contact with. My rash did not resemble the photos I've seened either, mine resembled like a prickly heat rash that babies sometimes get. I notice it first on my upper arms, shoulders, then spuratic spots, blister like on my back, breast around and under, sides of upper thighs, around my wrist, my neck and a few on my face. I was flipping out, within minutes of seeing my family doctor she diagnosed it as scabies and prescribed the Permethrin 5%cream, well with in 2 days it got worse, I returned to her office and was referred to a dermatologist. Once there, o was given a shot of an antibiotic which I had an allergic reaction to and it caused my feet and hands to swell. So I eventually returned back to my primary and told her she had to do something, I was up all night itching, and scratching, I only had one burrow line I found. I felt like I was losing my mind, couldn't work, couldn't be around family and friends. Well, by now I've used 3'tubes of Permethrin 5%cream and she gave me an antibiotic this time called "Levofloxacin 500 mg taken once a day for 10 days, by this time, I had developed a secondary infection, impetigo in multiple areas. It would literally take me almost 2hrs to shower, 3x a day. I would wash with Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree body bar soap, then I would use a shampoo called "DHS", which by the way, pharmacy usually carry behind counter if even at all. Sometimes they have to order the shampoo. After showering I would air dry, then I used Organic Pharmaceutical grade Tea Tree Oil. It smells strong, but I swear it helped the most out of everything i bought and used. And I applied that as often as I wanted. I was constantly cleaning, washing clothes, vacuuming, everything you read about doing I was doing. After almost 7 weeks of this nightmare, my symptoms have subsided and I have a bit of scaring on my shoulders. I'm constantly wondering if I'm truly out of the woods yet, this situation, this mite, is nothing to joke around about. It causes multiple side effects to people, at least to myself, I was an still am very depressed over it, I feel dirty, and I've lost allot of business because of it. It practically consumed my life. If you have any doubts about yr treatment or diagnoses seek a second opinion. Scabies is misdiagnosed often, I never got them where most of the photos I've seen during my research. I will try to attach a few pictures of how it looked when it started, mid treatment and now. I was diagnosed July 26, 2016 I hope this helped you a little.

• Posted

Hi

I have been using tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil every day before bed. I enjoy also done the cleaning advice and I feel the constant need to ware gloves which is not helping my eczema. I will benjoy doing my last dose of the cream tonigh before bed and hopefully I will be scabies free after that. Cross fingers. God u sound like uve been through hell with yours. I hope u are now better.

I am feeling like I need to burn my skin and furniture to make sure they are gone. I feel like they are crawling all over. I don't know if I will be able to go back to work and face everyone as there has had to be an email sent to everyone about an 'outbrake' of scabies.

Thank you for your advice . I feel like I'm going mad because I constantly keep looking scabies up and think they look nothing like what I have but I have had 2 doctors saying they think it is scabies. But they act as though it is nothing and easy to get rid of.

Thank you again for sharing your story .

X

• Posted

I definitely understand, I felt like a total outcast, and yes while you are treating yourself it does feel like they are crawling on you. Everything I've read and research has helped me a little, but just like you, mine don't and didn't look like half the photos. ( Which by the way I was going to post some for you, but I can't figure out how to ). Even though mine ( I pray ) are finally gone and healed. I still have a whole tube of the cream and a refill , because as I'm sure you have read some people don't even show signs or symptoms for 3/6 weeks. My boyfriend and children have shown signs, although I treated everyone with the cream and tea tree oil, along with having them wash with the Paul Mitchell's Tea tree soap bar. You should pick up a bar of soap like that, look online or ask your hairstylist if she is able to order one. You can only get from a salon or professional supply house, ( not Sally's ) . It really helped. I've now been applying the Gold Bond bump cream on my skin, it's so dry from the creams and soaps. Have they prescribed an antibiotic yet for you. I gave you the name of which one they placed me on and within 36 hrs I noticed a huge difference. My rash was not all clumped together like in photos I've seen, I had like a few 1 to 4 blister like bumps in some areas, other areas looked like the prickly heat. It's the secondary infection that scared me, out happen so quick after scratching my skin while sleeping. Then they turned into large scab like crust, impetigo. That's when I was given the antibiotic. I'm scared from those, only about 3/4 looks like someone burned me with a cigar. I wish everyone luck when dealing with this. And I also understand how you feel, about co-workers looking at you now, remember it's not yr fault, it's not because you are dirty, it could and does happen to anybody and everyone. It saddens me to think how ignorant people can be. If someone says anything, tell them to educate themselves and do thier own research on this. And as far as I can tell, by the research I've done, allot of people around the country are catching this. Stay positive, I promise it will get better, everyone's body fights invaders differently, it takes time. Keep doing what you are doing for a while even if you think they are gone. I've been back to normal for about 5 weeks and I'm still doing my routine. I thank God everyday they didn't get worse and go on my face or something. If you need anything else just feel free ask. I'm always willing to help if I can. And by no means I think I'm a doctor or that my way was the right way. I just know that it worked for me and I had a great family doctor who recognized it right away. Take care and talk to soon..

• Posted

I meant to write my boyfriend and children have shown NO signs of this..
    • Posted

I meant to write my boyfriend and children have shown No signs of this at all but treated everyone.
  • Posted

Hello I have between suffering with this scabies thing too, I used the premithin cream prescribed my doctor, twice already my second time was last night today I feel like it's crawling all over my skin in going crazy. After the first application of the crab there was relief for about a few in surprised that I feel so crawly after the second application

• Posted

Hi

My last application of cream was last Sunday. I also felt like they were crawling all over me but only lasted a few days. I think they are all gone now but if I get itchy I put on tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil and put on a onesie and that seemed to help.

My only problem now ia I have big red painful spots that are hot to the touch on my legs. I think I have an infection but I'm still having a bath, tea tree oil and clean onesie every night so hopefully everything will calm down soon.

Xx

• Posted

Good morning,

Remember in our early conversation, I was prescribed Levofloxacin an antibiotic pill , 1 pill for 10 days, because I caught the secondary infection, red circle like sores, small larger than others and they do feel warm because of the infection, and as they heal they itched a little that's when I really applied the tea tree oil, it really helped with healing and the itching.... Talked to your doctor about the script for the antibiotic of thier choice, after 2 days of taking it, my skin started to heal. Hope this helps you. Tahr care

• Posted

Sorry auto correct is the worst, it is Neem oil and Neem soap, I got it at an Indian store, the soap works better than the oil tho

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.