UTI infections for 12 years!! Help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. So I'm 19 years old and have had urinary tract infections since I was around 8 years old. They started off every couple of months and now at 19 I can't remember the last time I didn't have an infection.

I recently had a cystoscopy operation. During this they found a a lot of swelling on my bladder as well as a lump that was sent for biopsy - this came back clear.

They widened my water pipe and said this would stop the infections as it was simply too small. Relieved that my 11 years of hell was finally over I went home. Now nearly 2 months on my infections are the same - if not worse.

The urologist has told me my body is immune to all antibiotics so they gave me 'NITROFURANTOIN' to take for FOUR WEEKS until they could refer me to a female urologist?!

I've always been told that un-treated UTI's can cause kidney scarring and damage. I have had SO many UNtreated infections where I have had them so frequently.

Someone PLEASE help. My life has become such a. Misery and sexual intercourse with my boyfriend has become very painful. Is there anything I should be suggesting or asking for at my upcoming appointment?! Maybe a kidney scan?

Thank you for reading smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I wish I knew how to help you but I'm in the same position.

My UTI doesn't respond to medications and I've had scans and tests done and everything is normal.

I'm going to start a new diet this week because a lot of foods can bring on UTIs x

• Posted

Maybe consider that you might have candida too, the only time I have painful intercourse is when I have thrush.

I personally have found there is a much higher chance of getting a UTI after sex if I have thrush, no idea why, but it does happen.

• Posted

Jessica, what bacteria is found from your urine cultures? If it's e coli, then be sure to wash with hot water thoroughly after every bm. Use a handheld bidet every time you use the bathroom at home. Keep your underwear absolutely sterile, because you are prone to uti's. The washing machine does not sterilize unless you pretreat with hydrogen peroide and pour boiling water over the fabric. Keep dry down there, especially during your period. Take feminine probiotics because they help the urinary tract too. DON'T DRINK SODA, and stay away from spicy food. Wash with lots of hot water immediately after sex, and drink 2 big glasses of water afterward.

As far as getting rid of this infection, ask about being put on 2 antibiotics at the same time, possibly intravenously. You have to completely get rid of an existing infection or the remaining (resistant) bacteria will just multiply and become a resistant infection again. Then follow the above to keep bacteria away. Best of luck, Jessica!

• Posted

From somone who is living with low count bacteria in urine that seems to be difficult to treat, all I am being told is to take LOTS of probiotics, cranberry, d-mannose.  My bacteria is not E-Coli, from what I understand that one is easier to treat, either with antibiotics or natural supplements of D-mannose, but unfortunately the one I have is resistant.  I too get symtoms on and off which makes life miserable, but the uriligist is not looking further to treat it as I am not showing any WBC or nitrates.   I am being told that taking too many antibiotics can make these bacteria's resistant, and if they do not completely clear, then when the antibiotics are done they multipy as all the good bacteria from antibiotics have been depleated.  It seems the best thing we all can do it cut out sugar from our diets as much as possible as sugar attacks the immune system,drink lots of water, to ensure that the bacteria is being flushed out as much as possible, take supplements that help protect the baldder, and a lot o praying.  I have found that my symptoms come and go, I will feel relief for a couple weeks, and then come back especially around PMS time when hormones go all out of control.  The main thing we all need to do is strengthen our immune systems as much as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.