I woke up with full/dull ear

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a couple of questions...

1. I am in a fairly loud band, and usually use an ear plug in the ear that is on the drummer side, so my left ear. After a practice, the right side ear (opposite side of drummer) can feel dull for a few minutes then goes back to normal. Is this because it reacts to sound, and quietens down (like eyes do to bright light), or is it likely I am slowly damaging it?

2. I don't know if this is related, but a couple of days ago, I woke up with my left ear feeling full/dull. This is weird because if it was from noise I thought it would be the right ear, which is usually less protected. So i thought it might be something other than noise induced.

The dullness has gone now, it lasted about a day. But there is a faint ringing, noticeable at night and if i put my finger in the ear.

Any ideas what this is, and will it go away?

If it is of any interest, I also currently have a tight/sore neck and sometimes sleep with my neck at odd angles, and it was also my second night in a row with about 4-5hrs sleep.

Thanks (and I'll keep it updated with it it goes away, gets worse or anything for anyone else that expereices this!)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you have any alergies you might wanna look into that, but noise is a cause, there is a real doctor here that knows alot about it, i hope he sees you in here and help you....

Im afraid it may be the noise dude.

• Posted

I'm not in a band but I listened to earphones at max level before. But I do have the ringing that started out with fullness. And I too have a tight sore feeling in my neck that I feel at night. There's head pain in general.

• Posted

It might just be that, i hope....i have it due to noise...it sux but im habituated, it takes time.
  • Posted

Thanks, FYI it was slightly better last night (day 3) but there is still the ringing. It is most obvious if I lie on my left side.
  • Posted

Day 4: It has nearly completely gone, only a little bit noticeable if I block my ear when it is quiet. In a day or so I imagine it will be 100%.biggrin

I don't suppose I'll ever know what it was?!question

• Posted

Oh and also, can anyone help with the first point? If an unprotected ear is dull for a few minutes compared to unprotected ear after pretty loud sounds, is that damage? Or does the ear react to loud sounds by dulling it as a protection mechanism.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.