Fractured Scaphoid

Posted , 2 users are following.

My boyfriend came off his bike yesterday and has broken his scaphoid bone, He is in a temporary cast due to swelling but has to go back tomorrow to fracture clinic to have a full cast put on, He is saying he doesnt want to have one put on, I'm concerned because of the blood flow complications but because he is on blood thinners he thinks he wont have a problem, am I being over protective or is he being stupid, he got very nasty earlier because he hates being "confined" in any way shape or form due to panic attacks but Ive told him to talk to me to try and calm himself down.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline;   there is not much to worry re "bloof flow" if he has a fullcast put on.....he just needs to keep same elevated for a few days......but the fact that he is already in  a back slab now, and will have gone past the stage of the 1st few days when the "normal swelling" occurs, this should not be a problem.

?As to your boyfriend's concerns re "being/having his arm in a confined space", (and these attacks are very genuine, and just talking doesn't always help the situation.......having sessions of CBT may be  more appropriate for the long-term therapy):  maybe the Fracture Clinic may let him get away with having a cast on during the day, but one that can be removed for showering etc.....i t is very similar to what he has now, but made out of Fibreglass, and a little more stable for during the day/night  when he is more prone to "hold things/use his wrist/move it"????

?I do hope the treating drs know that he is on blood thinners, and for what reason.  These types of medications are very important that all treating physicians/drs should be told about, and the reason why   (they are not just an ordinary medication).....and I do hope that the dr who prescribed them/pharmacist who fills his scripts, has told him this?.....I am assuming that he does know this, so please don't take offence, just wanting to make sure............................best of luck............Bron

• Posted

Thanks bron,  he such a bad patient, the reason he is on blood thinners is because he had a heart attack in december, hes on a lot of other medicaion too after having a stent, the hospital do know about it.  

The thing is with him is that he is also very impatient when he cant do what he wants. Its also very much like when he gave up smoking, very very irritable, extremely verbally nasty and he scares me, he is also on about driving and going back out on the bike altho the hospital told him he cant until the cast comes off. He went over the handlebars and really hurt his face, cracked a tooth and lost one. he gashed his knee plus the wrist. 

I know I am a little over protective as I lost my son in a car accident almost 2 years ago, my boyfriend thinks hes invincibe and he wont get hurt etc, but its exactly what he has done, he goes on and says dont worry I will be fine but he goes out on this bike up the forestry in the dark on his own and if something happens up there when hes alone its obvious I will worry.  Thankfully he was with people this time but its not alwayst the case. Ive explained my concerns but he tells me Im being stupid

• Posted

Caroline,

Myself I would worry too, as for the Scaphoid Bone, if it is nondisplaced that will be easier and probably a cast will be all he will need, but if he doesn't listen to the doctors and doesn't wear a cast and keeps using his hand like he wants to and something happens to make that bond displace then he may require surgery and I think I would rather wear a cast than to have to have surgery. Maybe you should tell him that and he might calm down a bit. The surgery route would be a big deal especially if the bone displaces, and the blood flow becomes an issue, they usually have to get a bone graft from somewhere else in the body and put it around the scaphoid some way to try to help it heal as it's a hard bone which usually requires more time than a regular fracture to heal but the surgery route could require more time if it does in deed displace. If he decides to have surgery instead I've heard the recovery time is less but that's only if he listen's to the doctors and is careful with his hand. Good luck and my prayers are with you as you need them more than him. Keep us updated to his condition and God Bless You....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.