Could I take Fibristal again or Uterine Artery Embolization(UAE)? Which one is better?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I have a large fibroid 9.9 cm since November 2015. The same size after one year from my ultrasound last week. Dr asked to take Fibristal pill for 3 month starting July 1,2016. But I stopped after 2 weeks as a serious headache. Now Dr

wants me to do Hysterestomy. I don't want to loose my one organ.

Could I take Fibristal again or Uterine Artery Embolization(UAE)? Which one is better?

Thank you

Vviian

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vivian so sorry to hear what you are going through.

My advice is don't let them force a Hysterectomy on you. It should be your choice.

I had a very similar experience as you. I had a 10cm fibroid which I was given zoladex injections for 6 'months I had to stop after3 due to severe hot flushes. Then I was given a procedure called Endomerial ablation which made my periods and stomach worse (I would not recommend it)

If I could rewind time this is what I would have done differently

As soon as the Gynocologist said Hysterectomy only I should have said fine the nrefer me to Radiology for a UFEn

I Ended up getting a UFE 18 months after 1st Gyn visit .

I think it's worth a try having UFE 1st if it works you aviod major surgery if it doesn't then there is always Myomectomy.

Last thing Gynocology wll try to stop you having U

• Posted

Dear Patricia,

I would like to ask if the UFE is the same thing as the UAE? Have u taken 18 month? How are you now?

Thank you for your reply!

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Patricia27802,

I was failed UFE last month. Doctor booked an Hysterectomy on Jan 23, 2017. hope it works well. 

• Posted

Hi j think UFE is worth trying as mine shrink from 10 to 7cm in a year. Hopefully I can now have a Myomectomy now that the Fibroid is dead and has no blood supply. You may get even more shrinkage than I did. I am glad I had mine as it has improved my symptoms the only problem is I still loll pregnant but I would do it again.

Just be aware that gyncolgisf don't like UFE so you have to push for a referral to Radiology.

Whatever you decide

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.