Morton's neurom

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi just had a scan and they have found I have

Morton's neurom in two places in the same foot. Can anyone tell me if they have had they same and if so what treatment they had thanks .......

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

HI Pinker

i have 2 neuromas on same foot. It has also been found out that two of my toes are too long.  That is what has caused them my 2nd surgeon said.  I had the neuromas injected 3 times. No help at all and foot got worse. new surgeon is going to remove the largest neuroma and also break the two toes, chop a bit of bone off each and wire back together. Hopefully that will alleviate the other one. He has told me a small nerve may be left behind but hopefully not. Op will be done in December. 

• Posted

I'm sure your foot must be painful - bad luck for you - and I'm sure you can find quite a lot on the web.  I had one in my left foot and had it surgically removed.  Basically they go in from the top, spread the bones and tendons to the side and cut out the neuroma which is basically a swollen lump in the nerve.  It leaves you partly numb between your 3rd & 4th toes but that's minor.  The thing is to follow the recovery instructions implicitly (which I did not do to my cost), namely to keep your foot above your heart for the first 2 weeks for at least 20 hours/day.

The alternative treatment is cortisone injections which are effective for a few months but need repeating regularly.

On the other hand there is a treatment for back pain called 'de-nervation' in which they guide a needle to the nerve using x-rays and then fry the nerve.  This sounds much more sensible than surgery with a knife but like many new procedures not all surgeons are trained to do it.  So I suggest you definitely ask your Dr and/or surgeon and get a second opinion if they don't seem to know much about it.

Good luck.

Some people seem to get totally pain free whereas others not entirely and in some cases the pain comes back.  If the de-nervation is an option that would be my favourite because repeating it a few years later would be easy.

David 

• Posted

Hi yes very painful and to have it in two places in one foot is painful. So I'm not sure what there going to do.

• Posted

Ablation to fry the nerves may work for some, but it just left a huge amount of scar tissue to add to the mess in mine.  I had it all out today.  It felt like it was the size of a golf ball, but when he showed it to me after he got itout it could have filled a 1/2 teaspoon maybe.  I did the cortisone, made it worse.  8 series of alcohol injections, made it worse again.  Ablation, nope.  I hope he got all of the nerve because I don't want to go through that again.

• Posted

Before doing surgery, try messaging the top and bottom of the toes that hurt and the ball of the foot.  Also, toe gel sleeves work well.
  • Posted

Hi

I have the same as you . So far I have had a injection in August in one place , but it has made 10 times worse , I have read they can inject the wrong place . I wish I never had the injection . I am seeing someone at a hospital next week to discuss what can be done now .

• Posted

Hi I'm of to the doctors tomorrow still not sure what they are to do. Very strange but now got problem with my hip as I'm trying not to walk on that side of the foot just so fed up with it now

• Posted

My three njections were all done using ultrasound. First two by a physio who injected into space between toes. Last one done by consultant radiologist through top of foot. Hurt like hell and was even more inflamed. Looking forward to getting op done in December. 
    • Posted

Oh dear this is what I'm worried about wasting time having injection and they don't work. Good luck with the opp

• Posted

I'm not sure if there is anyway to tell if a neuroma is treatable with injections or not.  Would be nce if there were because it was a miserable year going through cortisone and alcohol injections that just made it worse.  I've heard horror stories from the surgery as well.  I had mine out today and hope that is the end of it.  PRAY it is the end of it.  I need to get back to walking.  My 3 dogs need me to get back to walking, though I did get a knee scooter a while back and have been able to take them out.  Sometimes they even pull me on it, though I won't try it for a few weeks because I had a few crashes.

• Posted

I had this and was treated with a virtualize cortisone injection and an insert for my shoe. The pain went away after about 3 weeks.
    • Posted

Sorry for the typo. Don't know why "virtualize" popped up.

• Posted

Hi 

an MRI scan found I had 3 large morton neurons that I had suffered, often in agony in each foot.  I had them removed and have not looked back.  The pain has all gone!!!  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.