Pain Medicine with Fibro

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've had Fibro for about 2 years and my pain has been consistantly getting worse.  I have read lots of aritcles on Pain meds with fibro...some people saying it allows them to get out of bed and have a life, while others saying that the pain meds only made their pain worse over time.  

I would really like to hear people's thoughts on topic?  Thank you

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It's a daily struggle for sure.

I was diagnosed with it many years before it had a name . 

The best help I have had was meds from a rhumy. They are trained to treat this now and many meds besides pain meds help.

many have success with cymbalta and DENARDS.

Take care.

• Posted

Thanks.  Have you used pain meds in the past and find that your meds now work better?
    • Posted

Tried DEMARDS, bio drugs and Cymbalta. They each helped greatly at first. But had to stop due to side effects. Now just take Tylenol, asprin . Treat heat & ice.mAlso my doc prescribes anti depressant it was the biggest help as the fibro does present with different hormones than can make us feel worse especially cortisone .

always stay active do exercises and eat fresh foods no sugar or carbs. 

Also many supplements help. Ask your dr. What best for you. 

Once you develop a daily routine I guarantee you'll feel a lot better.

• Posted

hello Cheryl - you put it in a nutshell.  it works for some and not for others.  Nothing works for me.  I have gradually come off all the meds because they - pregabalin, oxycodone, antidepressants, etc - dont work.  Pain consultant said if they dont work - stop them.  mind you she didnt offer any alternative and in her letter to my doctor she said they often make the pain worse, not better!!!   there are other non-opioid medications such as CBD but be very careful and research a reliable source - do NOT buy any online - you have no idea what you are paying for and there is no quality control.  Do you live in a country/state where it is legal?  i hope so. take care.  Peta
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl01253, I have pain everyday , it's just a matter of where and how bad. It's so bloody annoying because I find sometimes I get relief in one area but other areas it makes no difference. Sometimes the pain is magnified when I use pain relief. My left shoulder all the way along my collar bone has been giving severe pain for 6 months + when I use cocodamol it gets worse. That is one pain whereby nothing gets to it and I've tried everything. Of course it's not only the shoulder I suffer with its pain in other places which we all suffer from. I also feel my pain is becoming worse as we change seasons. Especially my hands and feet although my RA also plays a significant role. I also have Raynauds syndrome and Osteoporosis of my spine. Just had a total right hip replacement but now have issues with adhesions attaching to the prosthetic and the left hip is due a replacement soon but I'm not going to have until the right hip is functioning properly. I'm going private hospital on 11 November to have shock wave treatment ! Never heard of it before until it was suggested by my pain consultant. When your in this state you will reach out and try anything believe. If anyone out there has any experience of shock wave therapy or I think they also call it pulse wave therapy please post a response.

Best wishes to everyone.

KS

• Posted

Thanks everyone.  Is there anyone that used to take pain meds find that being off of them is better?

• Posted

Hi, Cheryl....I have Fibro, along with other medical issues.  It is an absolute struggle every day for me.  I am a retired paramedic, so I hurt my back carrying stretchers when I worked.

With Fibro, it is not only pain, there is fatigue almost every day.  My doctor put me on Lyrica and Tramadol, which nearly took the pain completely away, however, the Lyrica made me bloat up with water weight gain unti I almost ruined my kidneys.  I can only take about one or two Lyrica's a week, but I do take about three Tramadol's a day.  I can't seem to find any meds that don't want to make me sleep all day.  I am also on Cymbalta, 20mg. twice a day.

Good luck, sweetie...I hope you find the right meds to help you through this.  I do lots of praying, which helps, too....HUGS.

• Posted

Today read of new meds in clinical trials for FM.

According to Dr. Pridgen, chronic tissue-resident herpes virus or Shingles may be an underlying cause of fibromyalgia. IMC-1 represents a novel treatment by combining an anti-herpes virus nucleoside analog with the anti-herpes virus activity exhibited by a COX-2 inhibitor.

Interesting.

• Posted

Today read of new meds in clinical trials for FM.

According to Dr. Pridgen, chronic tissue-resident herpes virus or Shingles may be an underlying cause of fibromyalgia. IMC-1 represents a novel treatment by combining an anti-herpes virus nucleoside analog with the anti-herpes virus activity exhibited by a COX-2 inhibitor.

Interesting.

• Posted

hi, I followed up the comment  you posted above and looked up Dr Pridgen.  what the article doesn't include is a suggested herpes simplex1 antivial drug.  Would you happen to know what would be prescribed?  many thanks.  Peta

• Posted

Oh can't believe this so weird

I had chicken pox at 29 I was very ill

Before I was diagnosed with fybromyalgia I had shingles and then more episodes of hepatic neuralgia where top of my back burnt constant and itchy and so which I still get

I need to add though I had sepsis as well after and operation where I kept saying I was poorly but was sent home then rushed in later again very thought I would die

I think something caused my fybromyalgia

And doctor said it's normally caused he thought by some kind of trigger like a shock or illness

Please let us know if you find anything else xx

Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.