30, F.. recently diagnosed with high BP, Hypertension..Need some advice!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! So about a month ago what I said in the title happened. I am a bit obese as well im about 5'4 and 210 lbs. I was started on Coversyl 4mg.. didn't work. Doctor just switched me to Amlodipine 5mg, today was my 3rd day taking it. I am going to go check my BP tomorrow as everything has been closed due to turkey day (I'm in Canada lol) So here is where I would like advice : I had no side effects from the coversyl..But seems I am having minor ones from the new med. I know when it kicks in because I feel a bit dizzy and then a wee bit of heart/heart area pain, nothing crazy. I have a anxiety/Panic disorder as well, but I have noticed the past about 2 months (and I know its not my anxiety, but rather triggers it) my left arm feels..weird. either "floaty" or swollen, and my right arm is normal. especially during exercise. But just doing nothing as well. About 10 mins ago I was laying on my belly and it was like it started to go numb..I started to panic and jumped up and now it just feels floaty or "detached" even. I have told my Dr. about it. I have no pain or pins/needles or true numbness..it freaks me out though and I do not need more fuel for my anxiety fire. I will also mention that until the past few days(althought I mostly cut down past few months) I have been a heavy drinker for about 10 years and smoker. I "quit" smoking about 3 months ago (only smoke when I drink kinda thing) I have been sober from both for 2 days n 22hrs now ..as im writing im having a few pains in my left arm..ugh..Anyway the biggest discomfort is after I eat!! My heart starts beating faster and "hard" and my left arm feels weird, seems to be worse at breakfast time..but can happen anytime..and happens all the time now! sad Any advice would be apprieciated! Ty! (Also I have been fairly sedatary n such as well, no wonder I have high BP..but I am making a real effort to stop my habits and get healthy!! I don't wanna die! sad  wink

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ok so I just read up on this Amlodipine...and omfg...I'm crying. 

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Liver problems

Amlodipine is processed by your liver. If you liver isn’t working well, more of this drug may stay in your body longer. This puts you at risk for more side effects. If you have severe liver problems, your doctor may give you a lower dose.

Heart problems

If you have heart problems, such as narrowing of your arteries, this drug may increase your risk of health problems. You may have low blood pressure, worse chest pain, or a heart attack after starting or increasing your dose of amlodipine. If this happens, call your doctor or go to the emergency room right away.

Why would they prescribe me this??? Also I do have b4 starting this drug irregular heart beat at times..also my heart does this extra weird beat where it "squishes" and makes me cough. I think I may just go drug free..I'm scared as F now!! My anxiety already makes me think I'm going to have a heart attack..now I actually might!! Grr.. I just want to feel good agin! So much for getting a good sleep tonight sad

• Posted

Really sorry to have to say I know nothing that will ease your fears regarding your meds other than these side effects are usually very rare and bp meds are usually very safe.

Also you admit yourself you suffer with panic and anxiety, this can also cause your described symptoms, you don't say how high your bp is at highest, is your age 30? And are you Male or female, you need to make appointment with your GP to discuss your fears though as they are there to help you, are you uk

• Posted

I am female..30 and my BP ranges from 135/85 to 149/91. I am in Canada. And yes I believe some of this is my anxiety. I keep talking to my doctors..but it's like they don't really listen... I feel this is because of my anxiety and age -.- .. Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

1.  Get a good BP meter and check yourself a few hours after you get up.  I use an OMRON BP785, which is quite accurate.

2.  Wgt loss:  cut out potatoes and all refined carbs (Atkins diet).  Stick to this for a month and you will take off 10 lbs.  Not so easy day 1, easier day 2, etc. 

3.  You know about the importance of exercise so I won't say anuything more.

4.  Dizzyness *could* be due to low BP.  Get that meter.

5.  You obviously also know that you need to cut down on your alcohol consumption.  Again, gets easier day by day.

6.  Not familiar with the meds you cite, do some research on your own.

• Posted

I have problems with amlodipine too. My doctor started me on 10mg but I was so tired and suffering with chest discomfort that we dropped it to 5mg. I still have all kinds of aches and pains - seems to be common with this drug - but my doctor wants me to persevere for a few more weeks since my bp has really improved. Like you, I suffer with anxiety and every slight pain freaks me out - I totally understand. Keep talking to your doctor and I hope you get the right meds for you.
  • Posted

Well your blood pressure is high but not bad at all. You should not be on medication. It's clear that your anxiety, weight , eating and drinking habits are responsible for your slightly high BP. Deal with these causes of High BP and check it closely at home. Your anxiety means that everytime you visit a Doctor it will be high

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.