Hv got temp full time job. Don't feel physically or mentally able. Need money. Don't know what to do

Posted , 5 users are following.

Am currently in pain and feeling very low. Secured temporary position yesterday but found out it is full time at interview. Physically I know I can't commit but hv accepted as desperate for employment. Got my diagnosis yesterday after interview. Don't know what to do 😢

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

That is unfortunate. Have you discussed with the doctor? As far as your limitations are. There is also SSI. Not sure if you want to go that route.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Yes I will make an appointment with GP. What is SSI?
    • Posted

SSI is supplemental security income offered by the government. For people who are disabled and can't work because of their disability. Not sure how you qualify but my brother has been on it for years. His issues are more mental disability vs physical but he does work part time to supplement his benefits. 

• Posted

I was told by my neurologist for 8 years to cut down on my hours or I would end up in a wheel chair. Wish I would of listened as now I am 100% disabled and getting worse! It doesn't look good on your record to take a job then quit, I would be honest with them and see if they would let you work part time or keep looking! Good luck 

• Posted

Hi nancy0902. Sorry to hear that. How are you copeing. Luckily I have good and bad days although bad days becoming more frequent. Hv decided to try the job and see how it goes. Not seeing my neurologist until December so will ask him what he thinks then. If I can last that long.
    • Posted

Yeah me too have good and bad days. Ive found my dizziness has gone if I avoid computets and desk work. However pain frpm fibroids is getting wprse. When I have good days Im so happy pain is gone it feels amazing! Its just up and down all the time. The pain makes me feel really depressed and just end up not being abke to do things. So i guess its affected my life quite badly as I cant plan anything and dont like being too far from home etc.

All the very best let me know how you go! X😊

• Posted

Hi Nannab56

I know exactly how you fee! I have been trying to find a new career for years and have been forced to work in minimum wage jobs part time asvI cant work in an office because my neck starts seizing up as soon as I have to sit looking at a computet! Consequently I am stressed out with lack,of money and struggling to pay bills.

I also have chronic pain from fibroids and will not subject myself to a hysyerectomy as I do not believe surgery is a good option.

However, I have started training as a reiki practitioner and just hope I can hold out long enough fimancially and ohysically to complete the training and change my life.

I wish you all rhe best - you can always keep trying to get a part time role after starting the full time job. It's tough and I think you have hit upon,a problem which is widespread among working people faced with a choice between money anf health. Most people simply keep working until their health degenerates so much that they cant work at all anymore. I think it is brave and to be commended to put your health firdt so that you can enjoy a longer ultimately healthier life and take responsibility for yourself rather than run yourself into the ground and then be dependent in prescriptions and endless doctor and hospital appointments.

Lots of strength and love to you xxx

• Posted

Hi dizzychristine. It's a cruel world we live in sometimes. So sorry for ur problems. We shouldn't hv to choose between health and money. Good luck with the Reiki. Thank you for ur kind words.

• Posted

Hi there,

There is also Employment Supplement Allowance - this allows you to work up to 16 hours a week - this is worth considering if you cannot hold a full time job down.  I have struggled unfortunately for the past 25 years, finally becoming self employed 8 years ago due to being unable to hold down a job and be reliable, I worked from home flexible hours this involved computer work which I now cannot do and finally MRI Scans and CT scans show bone spur trapping the nerve diagnosed  on C4 C5 Herniated disc also and herniated disc on C6C7 symptoms have become so bad that I am now having the operation this coming Saturday - really worried but can no longer carry on like this.  I suggest you try full time and if it does not work for you and the Employer, then  cut your hours down I think you are able to claim ESA for up to one year  this willl help supplement your income if you can work maybe two days temping a week instead of full time, this is done with the Job Center Plus I think you can get there phone number if you google it.  If you try the job and it does not suit you can always let the agency know and try shorter hours.  You do need sick notes from your Doctor but this will just give you time to see what you can do about your problem.  I worked as a temp for many years working maybe one day or two days a week, fortunately my hubby has a good job so I did not need to supplement my income which I am sure I would not have got - you do need to have the relevant National Insurance Stamps or maybe be on low income - it is worth looking into if it helps you through a bad period.  Good Luck

• Posted

Hello. Thank you for all your help. It was very informative. I too struggle to hold a job down due to pain whuch is why I temp. The downside is no work no pay. Now i hv a definite diagnosis maybe I can get done financial help. I really hope ur operation goes well. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.