Low HIDA scan - will surgery help?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, has anyone had their gallbladder out because of a low HIDA scan, and if so, did you feel better?

I have had nausea for a year and a half and finally had a HIDA scan, which showed 0% ejection fraction. The GI doc said it was a slam dunk and sent me for a surgical consult. However, I saw the surgeon yesterday and he said there's only about a 70% chance of improvement with surgery for people with low functioning gallbladders.

I am desperate to feel better but I am worried that I will get the surgery, not have any improvement, and could even end up worse because of complications like bile salts diarrhea or chonic pain. What do you think, is it worth the risk? Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If it makes you feel any better, I don't believe a surgeon will EVER tell you that it's a 100% guaruntee. I'm in the same boat of being afraid of AFTER surgery issues - but the truth is that a majority of people don't have issues with bile salts or chronic pain. Everyone I've talked to personally hasn't had a problem - you only read online about the people that still have problems. There are something like 700,000 GB surgeries every year and you only see a handful of them talking on the internet about issues, so your chances are good that you'll be fine. I'm suffering for what some believe to be an OVERACTIVE gallbladder - opposite of you. And I can tell you in my extensive research on the subject, a LOW ejection fraction is so much more common than what I have, and so many more people have had relief from the surgery. The way I look at it - if they've exhausted all other possibilities (besides IBS) then you have a good chance that this will AT LEAST help.

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement, and good luck with your overactive gallbladder issues! 
  • Posted

Sorry you're having these problems!  I think that most people benefit from surgery.  Elsewhere on this site a surgeon told someone that there was only a 50% chance of improvement if her gallbladder was removed because of a study he recently read.

Well, the surgeon is not a gastroenterologist, and should stick to practicing surgery.  

The HIDA scan showed that your gallbladder is not functioning. Did you have an ultrasoumd of your liver?  Were liver function tests done?  The facts are that in your digestive system, your gallbladder's not functioning, and can only become more diseased and stress the other organs in that system, like your liver and pancreas.  

I have bile salts diarrhea, and I would have my diseased gallbladder removed again in a heartbeat. 

Also, you should know that a portion of people diagnosed with IBS-D suffer from bile salts diarrhea, or bile salts malobsorption (BAM).  These people lack a hormone that enables their body to reabosorb the bile.  IBS-D is just a catch-all diagnosis.  I was diagnosed with this, had my gallbladder removed, and still kept having it.  

But I can manage it, and I don't have a diseased organ in my body that could get worse, rupture or develop cancer.

Best of luck to you! Let me know what you decide and how you do! xx

• Posted

It's so great that you feel better after having your gallbladder removed! I have had problems with IBS-D in the past, although in the last year or so it's gotten a lot better, mostly due to dietary changes. I really don't want to go back to how it was before, being afraid to leave the house because I might have to use the bathroom. But it sounds like it is manageable and still worth it to get the gallbladder removed. I'm desperate to feel better!

Thanks for sharing your story, I am definitely leaning towards getting the surgery. In fact I've gone ahead and scheduled it, so now all I have to do is not back out!

• Posted

My HIDA was 21%. I had my gallbladder removed 5 weeks ago and I feel amazing! I actually haven't worked in a year because my nausea was so bad and they couldn't figure it out! I feel like a brand new person now!

• Posted

Wow that sounds amazing! I'm so glad you feel so much better! This is what I really, really hope happens for me. I have gone ahead and scheduled my surgery for the end of Novermber so as long as I don't chicken out in the next 6 weeks I will have it out and hopefully have your success! Thanks so much for sharing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.