Posterior and anterior prolapse repair. How long to recover?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a posterior and anterior prolapse repair and perrinium repair a week ago. Doctor said that after a week I could be up and about doing some light housework but reading up I see I'm going to be out of action for much longer. Still feel very heavy/achy and bulging. Is this all normal for so soon after surgery? I know I have to rest as much as possible but realistically how long do I have to take it easy for? Last thing I want to do is have to go through another surgery as the prolapse was quite severe

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

I don't have the answer but I am 8 days post op had anterior and posterior repair and episiotomy revision, I too feel like I have a bulge down there not comfortable at all! Waddling round and so paranoid iv already over done it and it's failed.

The not knowing it horrible isn't it x

• Posted

Not knowing is so horrible. I'm 2 and a half weeks post and over anazlyse every ache or Bulge. Terrified of Reprolapsing.

• Posted

Snap over analyse every tiny thing but it's not good cz I've been a wreck last couple days. Just keep crying and struggling so much. My partner had a week off to help and he got tonsilitis 2 days after op so by day 4/5 I had it too (think he was breathing his germs on me in night!) So I got anti biotics straight away from GP and taking them now. Because he was ill I had to do all things for 7 1/2 month old, so bottles, sterilising, pretty much looking after partner too cz he had bad chills and fever. I know everyone says rest and believe me I'm desperate for rest, what I'd give to have 12 weeks chilling watching sky movies, Netflix and reading. I'm 26 and basically I'm scared to death of this 1. Not working and prolapse coming back 2. Having another child and 3. Not ever having a normal life again x

• Posted

That's really hard for you! Bad timing on him getting sick. How do you cope with a 7 month old and not be able to lift him/her? I have a 4 and 6 year old and I find it hard not lifting the 4 year old (who is 40 plus lbs prolapse or not he has no business being carried). Did your surgeon give you a number you can call? I've called the nurses surgery line 3 time in 2 weeks about various things. It always helps having a professional talk me down and tell me it's ok to feel this way right now (bulgy etc). Only advise I have is lay down as much as you possibly can and ask for help, friends family, hired help whatever will get you the most time to rest.

• Posted

Terrible timing yes, he never gets ill either typical. Well reality is, I can't rest, I am picking her up she's 16lbs. I don't have enough family or friends available to cover looking after her or be with me during day. The last thing I want is my body to be ruined and the prolapse to come back but I am not as fortunate as others to have the time or help to allow my body to repair for weeks. This morning when I got up I felt no heavy sensation but it doesn't take long for it to appear. My partner left for work at 5.30 am and bubs was up at 6.30 for bottle. Who will help me for that?! There's isn't anyone. Looking back maybe it was too early to have the surgery but I couldn't not do anything as pessary was unsuccessful and im desperate to feel more physically 'normal' again x

• Posted

It's tricky isn't it? I never had family around when my children were young either and Mr Trizz worked very long hours too, so just had to get on with whatever. If you live in a house is it possible for you to come downstairs just the once in the day with the small person? Change nappies on the floor rather than pick up to a changing mat on a side? If she's on some solids again to sit on the floor rather than a high chair? Think how you can keep everything "low level"  - near the floor or sofa and lift as little as possible, Time for lots of snuggles on the sofa and books rather than other activities. Easy for me to say I know - especially if you have an active child who doesn't sleep! Is there a children's centre or mother and toddler group you could walk to that is near? Then maybe someone would help you get her out of the pushchair to play rather than you do both the in and out of the pushchair. That way you might get a chance to rest a bit. My local sports centre used to offer a creche facility - it was just for two hours max - pay as you go -  but after I'd worked nights gave my small one  a busy morning. Lift from the knees rather than bend your back over. On-line shopping is the biggest boon to man - I only wish it had been around when mine were little. When I'd had my surgery I told the tesco man I'd had surgery and he lifted the boxes onto the kitchen side for me so I didn't have to bend too much.

?Does she still have a sleep in the day? If so go to bed too - get rest then. Providing she has her food and bottles made everything else will get done somehow and if it doesn't well no matter.

?Hope all goes well for you

• Posted

Thank u for u suggestions really helpful and guna try as much of that as poss. She's just starting to get very active but I'll do what u say about everything low level. Sounds like u coped well with nights and not a lot of help. Thank u again x

• Posted

I am sure other ladies will be here soon. but in the meantime...... You might be up and about but you should not be lifting anything - certainly not heavier than an kettle or newborn baby - think ceasarean. Yes the bulging and heavy achy feeling are normal. You will be very swollen from the pulling prodding and general manhandling. If you can bear to there a videos on Youtube of the procedure - this will show you why everything is swollen! As the swelling goes down and  it all starts to heal it will feel as though everything is tightening up. You may experience some new bleeding at this time as stitches start to disolve.

?Rest, rest, rest and rest again. Housework and dust don't matter. Walking can be good - not too much. I found walking was ok - standing still was a problem - so no washing up or long times preparing food! Also don't stretch up too far as this puts strain on the pelvic muscles too. It can be too easy to overdo the upper body as you can think it's not affecting the wound area - but it does.

?Realistically you may feel yucky for 3 - 5 weeks. 6 weeks is better  - 8 is better still. I had 12 weeks off work and needed it. I finally felt myself - as in that I'd recovered from the surgery after 16 weeks. It's a long old haul. In my case things still aren' t good  - but  that's adifferent problem.

Take it easy

• Posted

No way after a week with two repairs should you be moving around too much. Rest.,,rest...rest!! No bending, no straining, no vacuuming , no making the bed yourself, those are just a few no.. no. You've had major surgery and the most important thing you can do is allow yourself time to heal. I tool the full 12 weeks to recover in a nice slow pace. I made sure I rested with books, tv, phone etc by me, and my main movement was piddling around the house and doing nothing heavy or strenuous. I will be one year on the 21st from anterior prolapse surgery, and I'm thankful that I am so much better!! I still guard myself and try not to lift heavy item, strain, eat right so bowels will move, and still put my feet up during the day if I'm on them to long. Please do not push yourself!! Rest., allow others to do some things for you and give yourself at least 6-8 weeks before you start doing your regular scheduled things. Blessings to you!

• Posted

Thank you so much everyone. Will keep the feet up and persuade the husband to get a cleaner in. Not easy to stay off my feet but will dive in to Netflix and force myself
  • Posted

How are you feeling now, it's a few weeks since your op are you any better xx

• Posted

Slowly getting there. Taking a lot longer than I thought it would

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.