Pessary experiences?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Finally referred & waiting to see a urogyne consultant to find out what stage I'm at! Hoping for some answers before I head to Disney/Florida next month as I'm so worried my trip will be ruined with these symptoms and my mindset (isn't very good at the moment) I wondered what your experiences with pessaries were? As it may be something I would consider for my holiday as its a long 3 wk holiday which is going to entail lots of walking/standing around! Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren!  I have a great experience with a pessary!  A year and a half after original surgery for rectocele and cystocele, I found myself with a stage 3 cystocele - AGAIN. I will not do the surgery again, OR have mesh EVER, so I decided on the pessary.  Amazing, just amazing.  Cannot feel a thing at all and organs are held up!  I went to my own doc to have it removed and cleaned at the first 3 month date (has to be removed and cleaned every 3 months) and it hurt like heck to have it removed, I must say.  My doc put it back in but I think it is not right so I am going to make appt with the urogynecologist who put it in, to "reinstall" the thing!!  I hope that does the trick and I hope it works as well for you.  I went back to my 3x weekly exercise class and everything, without feeling a thing!!!  LOVE this thing -- and as I said, no more surgery for me, so pessary it is!

• Posted

This gives me hope! Thank you for your reply! Are you in the uk? I'm going away in 4 wks and hoping to have one fitted before I go away! What are your thoughts on this? Would

I be rushing things?

• Posted

i live in the Isle of Man. i think it is worth trying. i could tell within a day or so if it worked and was very lucky here that my consultant brought me back in a few times to get the right one.
    • Posted

Hi what sort of pessary do you have. i am 57 years old and have a gellhorn. i can take it in and out myself quite easily. i tried the ring, shelf and cube but this one is best for me.
    • Posted

I had the ring fitted today which feels great so far! Fingers crossed it continues to work for me
    • Posted

hope it works for you and if any discomfort go back and get it changed. they know it sometimes takes a few goes to find the ost for you.
  • Posted

Hi, i do hope that you can be comfortable for your trip. Which pessary is suitable for you depends on wht type and stage of prolapse. BUT do let them try, and go back and back again until you find one that suits. I had hysterectomy and anterior repair in 2014. prolapse came back by 2015 january and is now also partial vault prolapse. I tried, ring, shelf, gellhorn and cube pessary. The gellhorn is best for me, i can take it in and out to clean and be intimate with my husband. Also i am able to walk 8 miles on a good day. Yes if i am standing i still get achy but not too bad and i know it will feel better after  lie down. NO WHERE near as bad as being out and about with no internal support.

​Hope you get sorted. blessings Ruth

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

I used a peasary for two months before I had surgergy. I had recetocle and cystocele stage 4. It all happen all of sudden, from moving. When I first went to GYN, she used a peasary that could stay in for a month at a time. Took 3 times to get the right size. It did help with the symptoms, and kept things in place. It also made it more difficult to have a BM. It also made me leak a little, enough that I used a pad. It wasn't that bad, but I knew i wanted it all fixed. I had it taken out a month before surgery, so things wouldn't be irritated.

I walked a lot while I had it in, 2 miles at a time. It wasn't uncomfortable. But I did try to avoid squatting, bending. I could feel it then.

I'm now 8 weeks post opp. Things are going well.

The weather is wonderful here now, I'm about 3 hours from Disney. Hope you have success with pessiary. Most people have to have several fitting to find the right size..... It's an awe full thing to happen to us, no one talks about it much. But it can be fixed.

• Posted

Hi Lauren, I live in sunny south Florida and went to Disney recently with Grandkids & prolapse issues. I can not comment on a pessary as I never had one and my body does not accept stuff like that well. 

For me pelvic floor excersises helped a lot. Not a fix all but helped immensely.

A tip for Disney goers with prolapse... Rent a wheel chair at the front entrace gates! Very cheap!! Well worth it. You can walk or sit when necessary. You can also get into the attractions expedited if you like if you have a wheel chair. I chose to wait in line as I was fine as long as I could sit once in ahwile. My daughter pushed me : ) And once in awhile I pushed her just for fun. Grandkids rode on my lap sometimes as well. It is a lot of walking.  All in all it was a wonderful trip and I would'nt sweat it.  

Since the trip to Disney I have increased my core strength and would possibly do Disney without the wheel chair now. Just sit when needed. 

Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask... 

Enjoy and dont worry. You will be fine. 

Another tip... dont use the silly app that tells you when there are rides with little wait time. Youll spend your time running across Disney when you could have just gone on the ride that was close to you in the first place by the time you walk!! Its total nonsense. LOL  kids these days.... & apps....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.