Upcoming Urethroplasty+BMG ANY ADVICE?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

Im due to have a sub-meatal urethroplasty with Buccal Graft next Tuesday (NERVOUS) Im wondering if anyone can provide any advice or insight as to what to expect in terms of the op itself and the after pain.

The thing thats baffling me the most is when you think of any type of surgery you know exactly what will happen well generally if you have a broken wrist they put it all back together and thats that where as with Urethroplasty what is discussed on paper could be completely differentr on the table.

Sorry for the baffling but if anyone has any advice/tips that would be great!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex. Have talked people that have had it done before and told it is very uncomfortable after. Hard to use bowels so buy a stool softener before. My special needs son needed this done after many years of problems. Would go in every 3 months to have it cleared. I didnt think he could handle it so opted for another op to unblock last time. That was in jan and hasnt blocked again yet. Keeping my fingers crossed. Wishing you all the best with the op and keep me informed of how you go. Karen. (Mother)
  • Posted

Don't worry so much. End result is worth it . I had mine back in April. The cheek takes some getting used to . Hardest part for me was staying physiologically healthy , three weeks at home with a catheter is not by any means fun .

• Posted

So how's the stream been for you? Has it been holding steady since april? Or is it getting weaker?

• Posted

At my 3 months average ml per second was 20. I measure it at home from time to time. It's stayed steady. Another cycsto and uroflow test with doc is march

• Posted

I just had a urethroplasty with BMG graft on October 10, 2016. I wore a suprapubic catheter for 90 days prior to surgery, my surgery lasted nine hours, I spent six days in the hospital before being discharged. The thing that bothered me the most initially was the BMG graft area inside my left cheek. That makes eating and opening your mouth very difficult. I lost 15 to 18 pounds total after the surgery. 15 to 20 days after the surgery the thing that bothers me the most now is the depth of the incision within a half of an inch from my anus. The rest of the incision seems to be healing fine but the back and of the incision seems to be the most uncomfortable. The dissolving stitches are in irritation but you can get through that. I was left with two catheters, a suprapubic, and a Foley which the doctor will leave in for a period of five weeks following the surgery. Why five weeks? I have no idea, that's what the doctor wanted. This surgery it's self is not that difficult but the recuperative. Following the surgery takes a mental focus. I have taken 3 to 4 weeks off from work following the surgery and will begin working at home at the 4 to 5 week post surgery Mark for another two weeks. Not trying to scare you, but do not under estimate How uncomfortable this surgical site will be following the surgery.

• Posted

I just had a urethroplasty with BMG graft on October 10, 2016. I wore a suprapubic catheter for 90 days prior to surgery, my surgery lasted nine hours, I spent six days in the hospital before being discharged. The thing that bothered me the most initially was the BMG graft area inside my left cheek. That makes eating and opening your mouth very difficult. I lost 15 to 18 pounds total after the surgery. 15 to 20 days after the surgery the thing that bothers me the most now is the depth of the incision within a half of an inch from my anus. The rest of the incision seems to be healing fine but the back and of the incision seems to be the most uncomfortable. The dissolving stitches are in irritation but you can get through that. I was left with two catheters, a suprapubic, and a Foley which the doctor will leave in for a period of five weeks following the surgery. Why five weeks? I have no idea, that's what the doctor wanted. This surgery it's self is not that difficult but the recuperative. Following the surgery takes a mental focus. I have taken 3 to 4 weeks off from work following the surgery and will begin working at home at the 4 to 5 week post surgery Mark for another two weeks. Not trying to scare you, but do not under estimate How uncomfortable this surgical site will be following the surgery.

• Posted

Hi Alex, I just had my first stage of Distal Urethroplasty.They have kept the surgical site open.have follow up end of december.then they will decide for thes econd stage of urethroplasty which is basically closure of penis site. Can you please share if anyone else also had this type of surgery. how long is the recovery period? what all things can be done and not be done?Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.