Is it normal to feel this spaced out when first starting Mirtizapine??

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor changed my medication from citalopram 30mg to 30mg of Mertizapine two days ago.

I took the 30mg Mirt at about 8pm and half an hour later felt spaced out and sleepy. I went to bed and had the worst nightmares and cold sweats also kept getting restless legs...but was too tired to get up. I was in bed till 1pm the next day and when I woke I still felt spaced out and weird for the rest of the day.

I decided to half the dose last night and slept better. I woke this morning at 8am. I have spent the day feeling really tired and still a bit spaced out. I have no energy to do anything.

Is this normal?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How ng were you on citalopram? Yes I felt spacey and tired at the beginning of mirtazapine.
    • Posted

Hi Sunshine,

I've been in citalopram for 6 years. I hope I get some more energy soon I have a seven year old and two year old to look after.

What dose are you on? Did it take long to feel back to normal?

Thanks for replying

• Posted

Yes, this is normal. It will get better every day and soon you will start to feel bright and alert again. It really does make you feel groggy for a few days.
  • Posted

Yes! I was like a zombie it was unbearable! I was fine after a couple of days I started on 15 mg about 6 weeks ago but have been taking citalopram for six years (I still take these two together!) I had to half it to 7.5mg then I upped the dose after a week and I'm fine now good luck with yours!

• Posted

Thanks for all your replys

I started to get anxious as I have children to look after and I can't function like this everyday. It feels as though my arms and legs are heavier and I feel tired all the time. Also have this weird spaced out feeling.

As long as it's just for a few days I will keep at it and hope I feel back to normal soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.